1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling Curve

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    When a liquid is cooled, the difference between the tempurature of the liquid and the surrondings is measured. The results are:

t(min) 10 20 30 40
    T(°C) 60.7 36.8 22.3 13.5

Where t= time from the start of the cooling
    T= tempurature difference

Q(i) Process the above data and show that the cooling curve has the form:

I'm not sure how to do this. I have gone through the text book and there are no similar questions to this. The only one close has a different form.
    I tried getting a value for A using a computer programme, but it said that there is no algebraic solution. I also tried getting a value for -k that worked but i'm not sure how to transform this data to show a cooling curve.

b) Find the values of A and k.

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    If the data obeys the equation T = Ae-kt, what happens if you take the natural logarithm of both sides?
  4. May 23, 2008 #3
    Wouldn't this transform it into a straight line ?
  5. May 24, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Yes it would. And that makes it a whole lot easier to obtain the value of A and k graphically. Plot the resulting straight line graph with appropriate axes. Then from the gradient and y-intercept, you could get the values you need after some algebraic manipulation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?