Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cooling Curve

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    When a liquid is cooled, the difference between the tempurature of the liquid and the surrondings is measured. The results are:

t(min) 10 20 30 40
    T(°C) 60.7 36.8 22.3 13.5

Where t= time from the start of the cooling
    T= tempurature difference

Q(i) Process the above data and show that the cooling curve has the form:

T=Ae^(-kt)

I'm not sure how to do this. I have gone through the text book and there are no similar questions to this. The only one close has a different form.
    I tried getting a value for A using a computer programme, but it said that there is no algebraic solution. I also tried getting a value for -k that worked but i'm not sure how to transform this data to show a cooling curve.

b) Find the values of A and k.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    If the data obeys the equation T = Ae-kt, what happens if you take the natural logarithm of both sides?

4. May 23, 2008 #3
    Wouldn't this transform it into a straight line ?

5. May 24, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yes it would. And that makes it a whole lot easier to obtain the value of A and k graphically. Plot the resulting straight line graph with appropriate axes. Then from the gradient and y-intercept, you could get the values you need after some algebraic manipulation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook