Cooling in Cosmic Microwave Background

In summary, as the universe expands, the average density of photons decreases, causing the overall energy to spread out resulting in cooling. This is due to the fact that the distance between two peaks of the electromagnetic field in a light wave increases, leading to a decrease in frequency and energy. This is also seen when observing the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which has traveled a great distance and thus has a longer wavelength. This is due to the expansion of space itself and the stretching of the wavelength of the photons.
merlinisproof
I am a little confused about how exactly the CMB "works". At first hearing, it makes perfect sense that as time goes on and the universe expands radiation would decrese in frequence, but when I think about it a little more deeply I miss something.
My thought is how exactly does the light "cool", why does a photon, propagating through space, lose frequency or energy.
I thought of a photon traveling though a box big enough that it did not hit the sides, and imagine the box "expanding", without any heat input, and I couldn't imagine a mechanism that would make the photon lose its frequency, does it in this case? And if so where does the energy go? Or is this where I am going wrong in thinking of CMB as a set number of photon particles?

Science news on Phys.org
As the universe expands the average density of photons contained within that area spread out as there is less overall density decreases. Therefore the overall energy also spreads out resulting in cooling. Temperature being an average energy level in a volume.

Also the area between particles at the time have more space to move around resulting in less average energy being released as the matter/antimatter annihilations become less frequent the quantity of matter and antimatter in that form also decresed to maintain those reactions.

Last edited:
In your analogy of the box, only the walls of the box are getting further apart. In our universe, all of space is expanding, not just the boundaries. So the distance between two peaks of the EM field in a light wave are getting further apart as time moves forward. Since the wavelength of the light is increasing with time, the frequency and energy are decreasing with time.

You're not looking at a box, but rather boxes within boxes, all expanding together. So if you look now, you'll see one wall, but if you look again later, you'll see a different wall -- one further away and therefore moving faster and more redshifted.

Mordred said:
As the universe expands the average density of photons contained within that area spread out as there is less overall density decreases. Therefore the overall energy also spreads out resulting in cooling. Temperature being an average energy level in a volume.
That's not how temperature works for EM radiation. Only frequency matters, not photon density.

I may give you two pictures:

1. (from the light's perspective) - the whole universe is expanding. All the distances are increasing. Also distances between wave maxima. Thus, the wavelength rises -> frequency lowers.

2. (from Earth observer perspective). CMB had been radiated pretty long time ago, so it comes from pretty far parts of the universe. We observe (Hubble's law) that the light coming from distant sources gets shifted towards red (it is an implication of the expanse of the Universe, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble's_law)
CMB traveled so long (comes from so distant part of the Universe) that it got shifted really far towards "red" - to the microwaves.

Last edited:
Your correct were not measuring Photons I was trying to relate it to the OP's question and should have been more exact. However the case still applies in that all EM forms do have a particle including radiation. Gamma rays are high energy photon rays, microwaves are photon rays with frequency 10^8 to 10^12 beta rays are electrons, alpha rays are the nuclei of of helium atoms,
Without those particles interactions and frequencies there would be no radiation.

As a few of the other replies have said, space itself has expanded, stretching the wavelength of those first photons.

1. What is the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) and why is cooling important?

The CMB is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang that permeates the universe. It is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory and provides valuable insights into the early stages of the universe. Cooling in the CMB refers to the decrease in temperature of the CMB over time, which is important for understanding the evolution of the universe.

2. How does the CMB cool over time?

The CMB cools as the universe expands. This is due to the expansion of space itself, which causes the wavelengths of the CMB photons to stretch out, leading to a decrease in energy and temperature. Additionally, as the universe expands, matter and radiation become more diluted, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

3. What is the significance of the CMB temperature?

The CMB temperature is an important parameter for understanding the early universe. It is currently measured to be approximately 2.7 Kelvin, which is just a few degrees above absolute zero. This temperature is a direct result of the cooling of the CMB over time and provides valuable insights into the properties and evolution of the universe.

4. How is the CMB temperature measured?

The CMB temperature is primarily measured through observations using specialized instruments called telescopes. These telescopes detect the faint microwave radiation from the CMB and use sophisticated techniques to precisely measure its temperature. The most famous of these measurements was done by the COBE satellite in 1992, which provided the first accurate measurement of the CMB temperature.

5. What are the implications of cooling in the CMB for our understanding of the universe?

Cooling in the CMB is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory and supports our current understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. It also helps to constrain various cosmological models and theories, providing valuable insights into the fundamental properties of the universe, such as its age, composition, and expansion rate.