Can the Rapid Depressurization of a Soda Can Cause Significant Cooling?

• Thread starter hua_mei65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a soda can feeling colder than expected when opened, due to the rapid depressurization of the CO2 inside. This is known as the Joule-Thomson effect and is also seen in CO2 fire extinguishers and paintball guns. While the pressure in a soda can may not be as high as in these other examples, it is enough to cause a noticeable change in temperature upon opening. However, the carbonation left in the drink after opening may prevent significant cooling from occurring.
hua_mei65
So, i just opened a soda can that hadn't been refrigerated and upon drinking it, the soda felt much colder than i would have expected from where it was stored. i realize that the cans are pressurized from the CO2 and that on opening they lose this pressure. to my understanding the when a pressure vessel such as this one is rapidly depressurized cooling occurs. is the pressure that the soda can holds enough to significantly change the temperature upon opening? It does not seem likely that the thermal mass of the soda itself could be changed to a significant extent by the pressure alone. I haven't measured the temperature of the soda (in fact its gone now) but does this seem to be a reasonable explanation for why it feels cold?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've played paintball, and a similar thing happens with the CO2 tank on the gun, but in both of these cases the pressure contained is much much greater than anything a can of soda could contain. Can the CO2 in the soda can expand quickly enough when the can is opened to cause significant cooling. Because of the carbonation left in the drink after it has been opened, i wouldn't think that it expands quickly enough or to actually cause any cooling.

What causes a soda to cool down when opened?

When a soda is opened, the carbon dioxide gas inside starts to escape. This process is called depressurization and it causes a decrease in the overall energy of the soda, resulting in a drop in temperature.

Why does a soda feel colder when opened compared to other drinks?

Sodas typically contain more carbon dioxide gas than other drinks, which means there is a larger amount of gas escaping when the bottle is opened. This results in a more significant decrease in temperature and a colder sensation.

Does the temperature of the surrounding environment affect how quickly a soda cools on opening?

Yes, the temperature of the surrounding environment can affect how quickly a soda cools down. In a hotter environment, the soda will cool down faster as the gas escapes more quickly. In a colder environment, the soda will cool down more slowly as the gas escapes at a slower rate.

Can the type of container affect how quickly a soda cools on opening?

Yes, the type of container can affect how quickly a soda cools down. A metal can or glass bottle will typically cool down faster than a plastic bottle due to their ability to conduct heat more efficiently.

Is there a limit to how much a soda can cool down on opening?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a soda can cool down on opening. This is because the temperature of the soda is ultimately limited by the temperature of the surrounding environment. Once the soda reaches equilibrium with the environment, it will stop cooling down.