Coordinate and proper time animation

In summary, the conversation discusses an animation on gravitation and its accuracy. The experts also discuss its potential use as a tool to display coordinate time versus proper time. There are also links to two other animations on the same topic. The conversation also delves into the depiction of spherical mass as an ellipsoid, the role of time dilation from movement, and the representation of spatial distortion in the animation. Finally, the conversation mentions the preservation of distances and provides additional resources for further understanding.
Naty1
Someone posted this animation in a previous discussion and I just 'rediscovered' it in my notes:

http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf

Do you experts think it accurate, and if so, wouldn't this be a nice tool to display coordinate
time versus proper time?? [Is it worth explaining it in FAQ and linking to it??]

[I have found I like it better than these:

Here are two others which have been linked in various discussions:
I find this one difficult to divine...
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb..._and_general_relativity/curved_spacetime.html

This one always semmed more intuitive showing geodesics which would be nice to display on the adamtoons format...

http://www.relativitet.se/spacetime1.html ]

back to the animation 'adamtoons'...
In the left chart I can see why the coordinate time [stationary at the origin to the left, tallied in the blue circle] runs faster the the proper time [purple] since the clock aboard the moving object apparently runs closer the the 'spherical' mass...assuming relative speed of the proper clock is ignored...why is the spherical mass pictured as an ellipsoid??

In the right hand chart, I believe that the greater curvature of the proper time relative
to the curvature of the distance curvatureis a nice illustration of why 'usually time is more warped than space' absent singularities...

How would you describe the 'distance' curvature which is not depicted in the left hand
chart?...I would have tended to roll up the left chart and forgotten entirely about SPACEtime curvature since it wasn't depicted in the left chart...
Apparently this preserves distances [the metric] as described on the illustration?? Just
what does this mean??
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
Someone posted this animation in a previous discussion and I just 'rediscovered' it in my notes:

http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf

Do you experts think it accurate, and if so, wouldn't this be a nice tool to display coordinate
time versus proper time??
Here is the simpler one showing coordinate time versus proper time:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/relativity.swf
However the distortion by gravity in that simpler one ignores the spatial distortion.

Naty1 said:
back to the animation 'adamtoons'...
In the left chart I can see why the coordinate time [stationary at the origin to the left, tallied in the blue circle] runs faster the the proper time [purple] since the clock aboard the moving object apparently runs closer the the 'spherical' mass...assuming relative speed of the proper clock is ignored...
It isn't ignored. Time dilation from movement also plays a role.

Naty1 said:
why is the spherical mass pictured as an ellipsoid??
It is a circle. Check the aspect ratio of your monitor.

Naty1 said:
In the right hand chart, I believe that the greater curvature of the proper time relative
to the curvature of the distance curvatureis a nice illustration of why 'usually time is more warped than space' absent singularities...
Not really. The extrinsic curvature of the proper time axis is a free parameter of the embedding and has no physical meaning. Make the mass zero so the diagram becomes a cylinder : the proper time axis is still extrinsically curved and you can choose any radius for it, without changing the relevant intrinsic curvature.

Naty1 said:
How would you describe the 'distance' curvature which is not depicted in the left hand
chart?
The spatial distortion is represented by the different lengths of
- spatial segment on the curved diagram
- its projection onto the axis of the cylinder.

Naty1 said:
Apparently this preserves distances [the metric] as described on the illustration?? Just
what does this mean??
It means that the distances in the right hand (3D) diagram are actually those described by the Schwarzschild metric. And the world-line of the free faller is actually a geodesic on the curved surface shown to the right.

The right diagram is to the left diagram like a globe is to a Mercator projection map

More info on this embedding in chapter 6 of this:
http://www.relativitet.se/Webtheses/lic.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is coordinate and proper time animation?

Coordinate and proper time animation is a method used in physics to visualize the motion of objects in the space-time continuum. It involves plotting the coordinates of an object in space and time and animating its movement over a specific period.

2. How does coordinate and proper time animation work?

This animation technique uses mathematical equations and computer programming to create a visual representation of an object's motion in space and time. The equations take into account the object's velocity, acceleration, and position to create a realistic animation.

3. What are the benefits of using coordinate and proper time animation?

Coordinate and proper time animation can help scientists and researchers better understand the complex concepts of space-time and the motion of objects. It also allows for the visualization of theoretical scenarios, which can aid in the development of new theories and models.

4. Can coordinate and proper time animation be used in other fields besides physics?

Yes, coordinate and proper time animation can be applied in other fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and video game development. It can also be used in education to help students better understand concepts related to motion and space-time.

5. What are some examples of coordinate and proper time animation in use?

Coordinate and proper time animation is commonly used in physics simulations, such as the motion of planets in the solar system or the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in movies and TV shows to create realistic special effects, such as time travel or space travel scenes.