How to Compute Coordinate Column Vectors in Different Bases?

In summary, the conversation discussed the matrices $E_{k\ell}$ and their use in finding the coordinate column vectors $v_B$ and $v_C$. The conversation also mentioned the basis of the vector space $H$ and how to compute the transformation matrix $A_{B\to C}$. The conversation ended with a discussion on the basis of $H$ and the matrix of coefficients for the identity transformation $T$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the matrices $E_{k\ell}\in \mathbb{R}^{2\times 2}$ with $1$ iin the position $(k,\ell)$ and $0$ in the other positions and \begin{equation*}\sigma_0=\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}, \ \sigma_1=\begin{pmatrix}0&1\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, \ \sigma_2=\begin{pmatrix}0&-i\\ i&0\end{pmatrix}, \ \sigma_3=\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\ 0&-1\end{pmatrix} \ \in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}\end{equation*}

We have the bases $\displaystyle{B=\left (E_{11}, \ E_{12}+E_{21}, \ i(E_{12}-E_{21}), \ E_{22}\right )}$ and $\displaystyle{C=\left (\sigma_0, \ldots , \sigma_3\right )}$ of $\mathbb{R}$-vector space \begin{equation*}H:=\left \{\begin{pmatrix}a & b+ic\\ b-ic & d\end{pmatrix}\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}: a, b, c, d\in \mathbb{R}\right \}\end{equation*}

Compute for $v\in H$ the coordinate column vectors $v_B$ and $v_C$ and verify that $v_C=A_{\text{id}, B,C}\cdot v_B$. I have done the following:

Let $v\in H$. Then $v=\begin{pmatrix}a & b+ic\\ b-ic & d\end{pmatrix}$ for $a, b, c, d\in \mathbb{R}$.

Let $v_B=\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}$ be the coordinate column vector. Since the elements of the basis $B$ are real matrices, we have that $x,y,z,w\in \mathbb{R}$.

Then \begin{equation*}v=x\cdot E_{11}+y\cdot \left ( E_{12}+E_{21} \right )+z \cdot \left [ i(E_{12}-E_{21})\right ]+ w \cdot E_{22}\end{equation*}

So, we have the following:
\begin{align*}\begin{pmatrix}a & b+ic\\ b-ic & d\end{pmatrix}&=x\cdot \begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}+y\cdot \left [ \begin{pmatrix}0& 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix}0& 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \right ]+z \cdot i\cdot \left [\begin{pmatrix}0& 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix}0& 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\right ]+ w \cdot \begin{pmatrix}0& 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} \\ & = x\cdot \begin{pmatrix}1& 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}+y\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0& 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}+z \cdot i\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0& 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}+ w \cdot \begin{pmatrix}0& 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} \\ & = \begin{pmatrix}x& 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}0& y \\ y & 0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}0& z \cdot i \\ -z \cdot i & 0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}0& 0 \\ 0 & w\end{pmatrix} \\ & = \begin{pmatrix}x& y+z \cdot i \\ y-z \cdot i & w\end{pmatrix} \end{align*}

So, we get:
\begin{equation*}\begin{cases}a=x \\ b+ic=y+iz \\ b-ic = y-iz \\ d=w\end{cases}\ \Rightarrow \ \begin{cases}x=a \\ y=b \\ z=c \\ w=d\end{cases}\end{equation*}

The coordinate column vector of $v$ in respect to the basis $B$ is \begin{equation*}v_B=\begin{pmatrix}a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

Let $v_C=\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}$ be the coordinate column vector. Since the elements of the basis $C$ are complex matrices, we have that $x,y,z,w\in \mathbb{C}$.

Then \begin{equation*}v=x\cdot \sigma_0+y\cdot \sigma_1+z \cdot \sigma_2+ w \cdot \sigma_3\end{equation*}

So, we have the following:
\begin{align*}\begin{pmatrix}a & b+ic\\ b-ic & d\end{pmatrix}&=x\cdot \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}+y\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}+z \cdot \begin{pmatrix}0&-i\\ i&0\end{pmatrix}+ w \cdot \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\ 0&-1\end{pmatrix} \\ & = \begin{pmatrix}x&0\\ 0&x\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}0&y\\ y&0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}0&-z \cdot i\\ z \cdot i&0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}w&0\\ 0&-w\end{pmatrix} \\ & = \begin{pmatrix}x+w&y-z \cdot i\\ y+z \cdot i&x-w\end{pmatrix} \end{align*}

We get that
\begin{equation*}\begin{cases}a=x+w \\ b+ic=y-iz \\ b-ic = y+iz \\ d=x-w\end{cases}\end{equation*}

The coordinate column vector of $v$ in respect to the basis $C$ is \begin{equation*}v_C=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{a+d}{2} \\ b \\ -c \\ \frac{a-d}{2} \end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
Is everything correct so far? (Wondering)

How could we compute $A_{\text{id}, B,C}$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Is everything correct so far?

Hey mathmari!

It looks correct to me. (Nod)

mathmari said:
How could we compute $A_{\text{id}, B,C}$ ?

What is $A_{\operatorname{id}, B,C}$ exactly?
Is it the transformation matrix for a vector with respect to B to a vector with respect to C?
Or the other way around? (Wondering)Anyway, let me write $A_{B\to C}$ for the matrix that transforms a vector with respect to basis B to a vector with respect to basis C.
Then we must have that:
$$v_C = A_{B\to C}\ v_B$$
yes? (Wondering)

We also have:
$$v_E= A_{B\to E}\ v_B = ( B_1 B_2 B_3 B_4)\ v_B$$
$$v_E= A_{C\to E}\ v_C = ( C_1 C_2 C_3 C_4)\ v_C$$
and:
$$A_{C\to E} = A_{E\to C}^{-1}$$

Can we find $A_{B\to C}$ (or $A_{C\to B}$ if that was intended) from that? (Wondering)Btw, you've effectively already (almost) found $A_{B\to H}$ and $A_{C\to H}$.
(What is the basis of $H$ anyway? And which are $A_{B\to H}$ and $A_{C\to H}$ exactly?)
So we can also find $A_{B\to C} = A_{H\to C}\ A_{B\to H}$ from that, can't we?
If it comes out the same, we have confirmation that you're previous calculations were correct. (Happy)

I like Serena said:
We also have:
$$v_E= A_{B\to E}\ v_B = ( B_1 B_2 B_3 B_4)\ v_B$$
$$v_E= A_{C\to E}\ v_C = ( C_1 C_2 C_3 C_4)\ v_C$$
and:
$$A_{C\to E} = A_{E\to C}^{-1}$$

Can we find $A_{B\to C}$ (or $A_{C\to B}$ if that was intended) from that? (Wondering)
What is $E$ ? An other basis?

We have that $A_{B\to C}=A_{E\to C}\cdot A_{B\to E}$, right? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Btw, you've effectively already (almost) found $A_{B\to H}$ and $A_{C\to H}$.
(What is the basis of $H$ anyway? And which are $A_{B\to H}$ and $A_{C\to H}$ exactly?)
So we can also find $A_{B\to C} = A_{H\to C}\ A_{B\to H}$ from that, can't we?
If it comes out the same, we have confirmation that you're previous calculations were correct. (Happy)

We have that a basis of $H$ is $$\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1& 0\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0& 1\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0& i\\ -i&0\end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix}0& 0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}$$ right? (Wondering)

$A_{B\to H}$ is the matrix of coefficients $a_{ij}$ of $T(b_j)=\sum a_{ij}h_i$, where $T=\text{id}$, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Let $v_C=\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}$ be the coordinate column vector. Since the elements of the basis $C$ are complex matrices, we have that $x,y,z,w\in \mathbb{C}$.

Isn't C a basis for a $\mathbb R$-vector space?
Shouldn't we have $x,y,z,w\in \mathbb{R}$ then? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
What is $E$ ? An other basis?

We have that $A_{B\to C}=A_{E\to C}\cdot A_{B\to E}$, right?

$E$ is the standard basis, which was also given in your problem statement.
And yes, that would hold.
But let's forget about that for now, since your problem statement only said to 'verify'.

mathmari said:
We have that a basis of $H$ is $$\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1& 0\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0& 1\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0& i\\ -i&0\end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix}0& 0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}$$ right?

Indeed.
Hey! Isn't that the same as the basis $B$? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$A_{B\to H}$ is the matrix of coefficients $a_{ij}$ of $T(b_j)=\sum a_{ij}h_i$, where $T=\text{id}$, right? (Wondering)

What are $a_{ij}$, $b_j$, and $h_i$? (Wondering)

$A_{B\to H}$ is the matrix such that when multiplying it with a vector wrt to B, we find the corresponding vector wrt to H, such that they describe the same actual vector. (Nerd)Anyway, we have:
$$
\begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\\d\end{pmatrix}
= v_H = A_{B\to H}\cdot v_B = A_{B\to H}\ \begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\\w\end{pmatrix}
$$
and you found that:
$$
\begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\\d\end{pmatrix}
= \begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\\w\end{pmatrix}
$$
So $A_{B\to H} = \operatorname{id}$ isn't it?

And if we can find $A_{C\to H}$ similarly, we have that $A_{B\to C} = A_{C\to H}^{-1}\cdot A_{B\to H}$ don't we? (Wondering)

Can we do it also as follows?

We write the elements of $B$ as a linear combination of elements of $C$.

We have that
\begin{align*}&\text{id}(E_{11})=E_{11}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot \sigma_0+0\cdot \sigma_1+0\cdot \sigma_2+\frac{1}{2}\cdot \sigma_3\\ &\text{id}(E_{12}+E_{21})=E_{12}+E_{21}=0\cdot \sigma_0+1\cdot \sigma_1+0\cdot \sigma_2+0\cdot \sigma_3 \\ & \text{id}(i[E_{12}-E_{21}])=i[E_{12}-E_{21}]=0\cdot \sigma_0+0\cdot \sigma_1+(-1)\cdot \sigma_2+0\cdot \sigma_3 \\ & \text{id}(E_{22})=E_{22}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot \sigma_0+0\cdot \sigma_1+0\cdot \sigma_2+\left (-\frac{1}{2}\right )\cdot \sigma_3 \end{align*}

So, we get that \begin{equation*}A_{\text{id}, B,C}=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2} \\ 0& 1& 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

Therefore we have that
\begin{equation*}A_{\text{id}, B,C}\cdot v_B=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2} \\ 0& 1& 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} \frac{a+d}{2} \\ b \\ -c \\ \frac{a-d}{2}\end{pmatrix}=v_C\end{equation*}

Yep. That works as well. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. That works as well. (Nod)

Great! Thank you so much! (Mmm)

1. What is a coordinate column vector?

A coordinate column vector is a mathematical representation of a point or vector in a coordinate system. It is typically written as a column of numbers, with each number representing the coordinate value along a specific axis. For example, in a two-dimensional coordinate system, a coordinate column vector might look like [x, y] where x and y are the coordinates along the x-axis and y-axis, respectively.

2. How is a coordinate column vector different from a regular column vector?

A coordinate column vector is a specific type of column vector that is used to represent points or vectors in a coordinate system. In contrast, a regular column vector can be used to represent any mathematical object, such as a matrix or a vector in an abstract vector space. Coordinate column vectors are often used in applications involving geometry and physics, while regular column vectors are used in more general mathematical contexts.

3. How do you add and subtract coordinate column vectors?

To add or subtract coordinate column vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding coordinate values. For example, to add two two-dimensional coordinate column vectors [x1, y1] and [x2, y2], you would add the x-coordinates and the y-coordinates separately, resulting in a new coordinate column vector [x1 + x2, y1 + y2]. Similarly, to subtract two coordinate column vectors, you would subtract the corresponding coordinate values.

4. Can you multiply coordinate column vectors?

No, you cannot multiply coordinate column vectors in the traditional sense. However, you can use coordinate column vectors in matrix operations, such as matrix multiplication, to transform them into different coordinate systems. For example, multiplying a coordinate column vector by a transformation matrix can rotate or scale the vector in a coordinate system.

5. How are coordinate column vectors used in real-world applications?

Coordinate column vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful for representing the position and direction of objects in a three-dimensional space, making them essential for tasks such as 3D modeling and animation. They are also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the position of an object in a coordinate system. Additionally, coordinate column vectors are used in mathematical applications, such as solving systems of linear equations and calculating determinants of matrices.