Copenhagen - What qualifies as "measurement" and "observer"?

In summary: Bohmian Mechanics. Thanks for the input!Curious. I'm sure this conundrum has been presented before. I wonder how it was handled. I'll delve more into Bohmian Mechanics. Thanks for the input!In a sense this is true in Copenhagen, Bohmian Mechanics and Many-Worlds. However, in Copenhagen, without the observer, the larger units and the smaller units are all not necessarily real. Reality has to be recognized by the observer in Copenhagen, or instantiated with hidden variables as in BM, or quite radically rethought as in Many-Worlds.
atyy said:
But it that's what you do, then your interpretation would solve the measurement problem. Yet in other posts you say it doesn't solve the measurement problem.

Its obvious. I simply assume it - I don't explain why. BM explains why for example - I don't.

The issue is whether explaining why or not worries you - it doesn't worry me. Axiomatically it makes no difference - but some like certain axioms - others don't.

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Its obvious. I simply assume it - I don't explain why. BM explains why for example - I don't.

The issue is whether explaining why or not worries you - it doesn't worry me. Axiomatically it makes no difference - but some like certain axioms - others don't.

I don't agree with that. Why should we need to explain why?

The point is to be able to answer questions like - as you sometime state the measurement problem - how does classical reality arise from the laws of quantum mechanics? Practically, can we have a theory of the whole universe, including the observers, since the observers are presumably part of the universe?

If we define the measurement problem in this way, does your interpretation solve it?

atyy said:
I don't agree with that. Why should we need to explain why?

You don't need to explain why. But by the definition of solving the measurement problem you need to explain the three parts I have mentioned in past posts not simply assume it. Decoherence explains the first two - well at least its reasonable to assume it does - there are issues - but not the third part. I simply assume it therefore I have not explained the measurement problem. BM for instance explains all three. Its even easier to see when you understand my interpretation is entirely compatible with BM - as is the statistical interpretation of Ballentine.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
You don't need to explain why. But by the definition of solving the measurement problem you need to explain the three parts I have mentioned in past posts not simply assume it. Decoherence explains the first two - well at least its reasonable to assume it does - there are issues - but not the third part. I simply assume it therefore I have not explained the measurement problem. BM for instance explains all three. Its even easier to see when you understand my interpretation is entirely compatible with BM - as is the statistical interpretation of Ballentine.

I don't agree. The traditional statement of the measurement problem is "How can we have quantum mechanics without observers?"

atyy said:
I don't agree. The traditional statement of the measurement problem is "How can we have quantum mechanics without observers?"

You are using a different definition than me. I am using the definition I have posted many many times from the following standard text:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has three parts:
1. The preferred basis problem.
2. The non observability of interference effects
3. Why we get any outcomes at all - technically how does an improper mixture become a proper one.

Again, as stated clearly in that text, decoherence can reasonably explain the first two. It stands powerless before the third. I simply assume an improper mixture is a proper one - I don't explain it.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
You are using a different definition than me. I am using the definition I have posted many many times from the following standard text:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has three parts:
1. The preferred basis problem.
2. The non observability of interference effects
3. Why we get any outcomes at all - technically how does an improper mixture become a proper one.

Again, as stated clearly in that text, decoherence can reasonably explain the first two. It stands powerless before the third. I simply assume an improper mixture is a proper one - I don't explain it.

That is one of the less standard aspects of the Schlosshauer's text.

One can state the measurement problem in a traditional way with less emphasis on observers, eg. Landau & Lifshitz, Tsirelson, Weinberg: quantum mechanics assumes the existence of a classical world, so classical physics is not a less fundamental theory from which quantum mechanics is derived. In other words, a purely quantum theory appears meaningless or not the most fundamental. What is the more fundamental theory underlying quantum mechanics and the assumed classical reality?

atyy said:
existence of a classical world, so classical physics is not a less fundamental theory from which quantum mechanics is derived.

That's a blemish in Copenhagen and others - not what I call the measurement problem.

That said if you can explain issue 3 then you have explained the emergence of the classical world.

Also its not the only way to fix that blemish.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That's a blemish in Copenhagen and others - not what I call the measurement problem.

That said if you can explain issue 3 then you have explained the emergence of the classical world.

Yes, I do state the measurement problem relative to Copenhagen, because Copenhagen is the only interpretation of quantum mechanics that is universally agreed to work, so it is the definition of quantum mechanics.

Explaining issue 3 is not sufficient to explain the emergence of the classical world. You have to show that the factorization and deviation from diagonal are objective, not subjective.

bhobba said:

Doesn't your interpretation have this "blemish"?

atyy said:
Doesn't your interpretation have this "blemish"?

No. By interpreting a mixed state as a proper mixed state it exists independent of observation. The classical world emerges from the quantum.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
No. By interpreting a mixed state as a proper mixed state it exists independent of observation. The classical world emerges from the quantum.

That's what I thought. However, I am skeptical of the claim.

(1) The classical world is objective. I don't think you have shown that the classical world is independent of the choice of F (Factoriation), T (Deviation from diagonal).

(2) In your interpretation, the quantum state is not necessarily real. The classical world is real. How can reality emerge from something subjective?

atyy said:
I don't think you have shown that the classical world is independent of the choice of F (Factoriation), T (Deviation from diagonal).

I was very careful to quote Schlosshauer exactly, and its my view as well. It's REASONABLE to assume decoherence solves 1 and 2. There are issues that need to be resolved like the factorisation problem. There are others as well. If you want to delve further into it check out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691004358/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But the consensus is 1 and 2 are basically solved. Its only on this forum you get these long threads about this fringe stuff like the factorisation and similar issues. The book above acknowledges them but puts them in much better perspective.

If you want to say they are a deal breaker - be my guest. I won't argue about it - we have had tons and tons of threads doing that and there is nothing to gain by going over it again and again.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
In your interpretation, the quantum state is not necessarily real. The classical world is real. How can reality emerge from something subjective?

But the observation is very real.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I was very careful to quote Schlosshauer exactly, and its my view as well. It's REASONABLE to assume decoherence solves 1 and 2. There are issues that need to be resolved like the factorisation problem. There are others as well. If you want to delve further into it check out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691004358/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But the consensus is 1 and 2 are basically solved. Its only on this forum you get these long threads about this fringe stuff like the factorisation and similar issues. The book above acknowledges them but puts them in much better perspective.

If you want to say they are a deal breaker - be my guest. I won't argue about it - we have had tons and tons of threads doing that and there is nothing to gain by going over it again and again.

OK, but I would stress a few points.

(1) Your interpretation is not minimal. The criterion of the predictability sieve is already beyond standard quantum mechanics.

(2) The factorization problem is not a fringe issue, and is considered a serious question by eg. Bohmian Mechanics. It is also not considered a fringe problem by Zurek, as quoted by Schlosshauer:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312059 (p8)
However, the assumption of a decomposition of the universe into subsystems—as necessary as it appears to be for the emergence of the measurement problem and for the definition of the decoherence program—is definitely nontrivial. By definition, the universe as a whole is a closed system, and therefore there are no “unobserved degrees of freedom” of an external environment which would allow for the application of the theory of decoherence to determine the space of quasiclassical observables of the universe in its entirety. Also, there exists no general criterion for how the total Hilbert space is to be divided into subsystems, while at the same time much of what is called a property of the system will depend on its correlation with other systems. This problem becomes particularly acute if one would like decoherence not only to motivate explanations for the subjective perception of classicality (as in Zurek’s “existential interpretation,” see Zurek, 1993, 1998, 2003b, and Sec. IV.C below), but moreover to allow for the definition of quasiclassical “macrofacts.” Zurek (1998, p. 1820) admits this severe conceptual difficulty: "In particular, one issue which has been often taken for granted is looming big, as a foundation of the whole decoherence program. It is the question of what are the “systems” which play such a crucial role in all the discussions of the emergent classicality. (. . . ) [A] compelling explanation of what are the systems—how to define them given, say, the overall Hamiltonian in some suitably large Hilbert space—would be undoubtedly most useful."

bhobba said:
But the observation is very real.

But that again seems to promote the observer to special status, because if the wave function is not real, then the criterion for reality is again subjective.

atyy said:
But that again seems to promote the observer to special status, because if the wave function is not real, then the criterion for reality is again subjective.

I knew it was going down this path. It really is philosophy which I find rather useless semantic sophistry. The key point is if an object always has a certain property if you observe it there is no difference to it actually having that property. Because its assumed to be a proper mixed state it is indistinguishable from actually having that property and being part of an objective world existing independent of observation

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I knew it was going down this path. It really is philosophy which I find rather useless semantic sophistry. The key point is if an object always has a certain property if you observe it there is no difference to it actually having that property. Because its assumed to be a proper mixed state it is indistinguishable from actually having that property and being part of an objective world existing independent of observation.

But could you clearly answer the question: doesn't what you are saying give the observer special status, exactly the same as in Copenhagen?

atyy said:
But could you clearly answer the question: doesn't what you are saying give the observer special status, exactly the same as in Copenhagen?

No - and obviously so.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
No - and obviously so.

It doesn't seem obvious to me. The basic problem is if the wave function is subjective - how can objective reality emerge from something subjective?

atyy said:
It doesn't seem obvious to me. The basic problem is if the wave function is subjective - how can objective reality emerge from something subjective?

The properties revealed by observation are very real. If a state is in an eigenstate of an observable it has that property regardless of observation. Since it is assumed to be in a proper mixed state it actually has that property prior to observation regardless of if you observe it or not.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
The properties revealed by observation are very real. If a state is in an eigenstate of an observable it has that property regardless of observation. Since it is assumed to be in a proper mixed state it actually has that property prior to observation regardless of if you observe it or not.

But in that case, isn't the wave function real? Also, isn't collapse real?

atyy said:
But in that case, isn't the wave function real? Also, isn't collapse real?

All the state is is a codification of the results of observations. If it is in an eigenstate it actually has that property - that's what the state tells us.

Please use state instead of wavefunction - its much clearer.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:

From this somewhat confusing thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/experimental-verification-of-matter-waves.824377/

...the following paper seems less confusing, and seems to state pretty clearly that 2 is not proved? But maybe I'm misunderstanding how linear superposition of unobserved states, when measured, results in non-linear histories.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.0270

Testing the limits of quantum mechanical superpositions
Markus Arndt, Klaus Hornberger
(Submitted on 1 Oct 2014)
Quantum physics has intrigued scientists and philosophers alike, because it challenges our notions of reality and locality--concepts that we have grown to rely on in our macroscopic world. It is an intriguing open question whether the linearity of quantum mechanics extends into the macroscopic domain. Scientific progress over the last decades inspires hope that this debate may be decided by table-top experiments.
Comments: 16 pages, 4 Figures; published version differs by minor editorial changes
Subjects: Quantum Physics (quant-ph)
Journal reference: Nature Physics 10, 271 (2014)
DOI: http://arxiv.org/ct?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdx.doi.org%2F10%252E1038%2Fnphys2863&v=986986e6
Cite as: arXiv:1410.0270 [quant-ph]
(or arXiv:1410.0270v1 [quant-ph] for this version)

Jimster41 said:
...the following paper seems less confusing, and seems to state pretty clearly that 2 is not proved?

Note the use of reasonable. They don't think its reasonable - fine - I won't argue semantically about reasonable. Others, me included, think its reasonable.

If you want to understand the use of reasonable here then study the reference I quoted which is a standard text on the issue - IMHO THE standard text.

You are wanting a definitive answer to a subtle issue - sorry by the definition of subtle you won't get it.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Jimster41
bhobba said:
All the state is is a codification of the results of observations. If it is in an eigenstate it actually has that property - that's what the state tells us.

Please use state instead of wavefunction - its much clearer.

So the state is not real, collapse is not real, but the outcome after collapse is real?

OK, perhaps it is just semantics. What I would say is that if the outcome is real and the observer is not privileged, then the state is real (eg. GRW, CSL). On the other hand, if the outcome is real and the observer is privileged, then the state is not necessarily real (most forms of Copenhagen).

I think this is shown by the interesting thing that one can get very similar equations from real collapse interpretations like GRW or CSL, as well as the continuous measurement formalism from within Copenhagen.

Last edited:
atyy said:
OK, perhaps it is just semantics.

That's all much of this is IMHO.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That's all much of this is IMHO.

I'm not sure. If you agree with my analogy with GRW/CSL versus Copenhagen Continuous Measurement, then in the former we can have a state of the universe including the observer (ie. quantum mechanics without observers), while in the latter there is no meaning to the state of the universe.

Also, GRW and CSL and Bohmian Mechanics, as I understand, do eventually lead to deviations from quantum mechanics, which I think can be in principle tested (maybe even in practice as discussed by the link http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.0270 posted by Jimster41).

Last edited:
Jimster41 said:
It is an intriguing open question whether the linearity of quantum mechanics extends into the macroscopic domain.

The key point of assuming its a proper mixture is there is some process that makes it a proper mixture - that linearity breaks down is one way to explain it - but not the only one.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
The key point of assuming its a proper mixture is there is some process that makes it a proper mixture - that linearity breaks down is one way to explain it - but not the only one.

The idea is that so far assuming one world, if one is to seriously solve the factorization problem as BM, GRW and CSL try to do, then the linearity does break down. This is why the factorization problem is stressed by some for the emergence of classical reality without a privileged status for observers.

atyy said:
I'm not sure. If you agree with my analogy with GRW/CSL versus Copenhagen Continuous Measurement, then in the former we can have a state of the universe including the observer (ie. quantum mechanics without observers), while in the latter there is no meaning to the state of the universe.

Also, GRW and CSL and Bohmian Mechanics, as I understand, do eventually lead to deviations from quantum mechanics, which I think can be in principle tested (maybe even in practice as discussed by the link http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.0270 posted by Jimster41).
Just want to mention that @bhobba (as well as others) pointed me to that paper.