Coriolis Force Along the Surface of the Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Coriolis effect and its application to a moving bullet on the surface of the Earth. The conversation also addresses the use of a local coordinate system and the two components of Coriolis effect: the change in distance from the axis of rotation and the East velocity with respect to the Earth.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

I don't want to post the actual question because I want to understand the situation in a general case. Basically, there is a bullet that moves south along the surface of the Earth as in this diagram: http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/coriolis_effect.gif. You have to find the deflection from the target.

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law in a Non inertial frame, Coriolis Force

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a solution becasue I can't understand what's going on. In my textbook, they set up a "local coordinate system" that moves along the surface of the Earth like this: http://i.imgur.com/Eyhq1WF.png. I want to understand why and how they can do this.

I haven't worked out the actual direction of the deflection, but I assume from the picture above it would be westward. If the coordinate system moves along the Earth, can you write a simple DE like $$\ddot{y}=\text{Coriolis Acceleration in this Direction}$$ ? I don't think you can since the latitude changes as you move south.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two components. Here is the first one:
Imagine you are near the Equator and travel North. When you start, you have a lot of velocity to the East because you are at the Equator. When you go toward the North, you retain that velocity. Everyone else there didn't have as high a velocity because their distance from the axis of rotation is smaller than yours was. So unless something stops you, you will be drifting to the East. If you calculate how fast you will drift to the East, you will have part of the Coriolis effect. This part is proportional to the rate that your distance from the axis of rotation decreases.

The second effect is proportional to your East velocity with respect to the Earth: Your velocity to the East adds to the centrifugal force that you would have if you were stationary on Earth. It's as though the Earth were rotating faster and adds a component of acceleration away from the axis of rotation.

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving along the surface of the Earth due to the rotation of the Earth on its axis. It causes objects in the Northern hemisphere to deflect to the right and objects in the Southern hemisphere to deflect to the left.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a major role in the formation and movement of weather patterns, such as hurricanes and cyclones. It causes air masses to rotate in a clockwise direction in the Northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern hemisphere, leading to the characteristic spiral shape of these weather systems.

3. Does the Coriolis force affect all objects moving on the Earth's surface?

No, the Coriolis force only affects objects that are in motion and have a significant distance to travel along the surface of the Earth. It is most noticeable in large-scale movements, such as ocean currents and weather patterns.

4. How does the Coriolis force impact navigation and transportation?

The Coriolis force can cause objects to deviate from their intended path, making it important for navigators and pilots to account for its effects when planning routes. It also affects the speed and direction of ocean currents, which can impact trade and travel routes on the open sea.

5. Is the Coriolis force the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the Coriolis force varies in strength depending on the latitude. It is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator. This is due to the fact that the Earth's rotation is faster at the equator and slower at the poles, which affects the magnitude of the force.