1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation and gradient

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have have a set of data pairs (x, y);
    (1, a)
    (2, b)
    (3, c)
    (4, d)
    (5, e)
    (6, f)
    (7, g)

The least squares regression line for the this set is y=3x-12

Determine the new gradient of this line if the original set of scores has been transformed to;

(6, a+3)
    (12, b+3)
    (18, c+3)
    (24, d+3)
    (30, e+3)
    (36, f+3)
    (42, g+3)

i.e. the x scores have been multiplied by 6, and the +3 has been added to the y scores.
    Now from my statistical tables book; I have the formula;
    [tex]m_{gradient} = \frac{{{\rm{covariance}}}}{{{\rm{variance}}}} = \frac{{S_{xy} }}{{S_{x^2 } }}[/tex]

how can I find the new gradient?

The answer says;
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    m_{gradient} = \frac{{{\rm{covariance}}}}{{{\rm{variance}}}} = \frac{{S_{xy} }}{{S_{x^2 } }} = \frac{{ \times 6}}{{ \times 36}} = \times \frac{1}{6} \\
    Hence\;gradient\;is\;now\;3 \times \frac{1}{6} = \frac{1}{2} \\
    \end{array}[/tex]

I don't really understand how this process works and don't want to assume anything that is wrong

thanks in advance
    Steven

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm no expert on statistics but I know that the "gradient" of a line is just its slope. I would have done this, ignoring all the statistical stuff, by arguing that y is now yold+ 3 and x is now 6xold so that yold= y- 3 and xold= x/6. Since you are told that yold= 3xold- 12, you now have y-3= 3(x/6)- 12 or simply y= x/2- 15. The slope (gradient) of that line is 1/2.

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    Cheers for that HallsofIvy!

seems like the obvious thing to do looking back lol

thanks!

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4
    hi steven10137,
    can you please tell me the name of the book from where you read this formula
    of gradient and correlation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?