Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation confused on integration

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1
    x(n)=exp(i(x*n+theta1)) +exp(i(y*n+theta2)) x and y are constants , theta1, theta2 are uniform random on [0,2*pi]

R(f) =E[{ exp(i(x*n+theta1)) +exp(i(y*n+theta2)) }exp(-i(x*(n-f)+theta1)) +exp(-i(y*(n-f)+theta2)) }]
    = 4 products 2 of which will be similar but with the opposite constants

E[exp(i*x*n+i*theta1 -i*x*n+i*n*f0i*theta1] = E[exp(i*x*f)] =integral exp(i*x*f) dtheta1 0 to 2 pi = 2*pi*exp(i(x*f)
    Or am I suppose to integral over both theta1 and theta 2 to get 4*pi*exp(i*x*f) ?

E[exp(i*n*n+i*theta1 -i*y*n +i*y*f- i*theta2 ] = double integral of the inside but it equals zero since we can separate the exponential and get exp(i*theta1) and the integral of this over 0 2pi = 0.
    Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're gonna get much more responses if you learn LaTeX. It'll make your posts way more readable. Read this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Anyway, because jbunniii asked me to:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  4. Mar 15, 2014 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There seem to be some typos in the formulas, which make it difficult to understand what is being presented.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook