Correspondence principle and its use

• Thread starter janko78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the correspondence principle is a theory in classical and quantum physics that says that if you use simple equations to describe a system, the results are similar to using quantum equations.
janko78
Can you give me some examples, link of correspondence principle use in life. All I have found out are theoretical examples such as Bohr's model...

If I understand right, correspondence principle says that simple equations used for classical examples with a few data and quantum equations used for larger data, give us pretty much the same results. If we'd use simple equations instead of quantum we'd make some mistake, but not to critical.

Is my thinking correct? Can you give me an example for its use in industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statement of the correspondence principle in incorrect. It says that as a quantum number increases, the behavior of the quantum system resembles more and more the classically equivalent system.

One example is the harmonic oscillator. While the ground state of the quantum HO has a a maximum probability in the middle of the potential, as you go higher in energy states, the probability starts to have maxima at the classical turning points of the potential.

I don't know of any practical use of this in industry. It is mostly useful to understand the quantum to classical transition.

Likes bhobba
The modern notion of the principle doesn't apply only to qm, but also to classical physics. The Newtonian limit of general relativity is an example, or the c --> oo limit of special relativity giving Galilean relativity.

In physics we work with effective field thories. Some theories are more complete than others, and should contain 'older' theories. E.g. General Relativity should 'contain' Newtonian gravity, special relativity and Galilean relativity. I.e. it should imply these theories in certain limits. The correspondence principle tells you how the less complete theories are obtained by limiting procedures (involving the appropriate constants like h,c or G) of the more complete theories.

For QM you can take the h --> 0 limit in the path integral and use a saddle point approximation, which leaves you only with the path implied by the action principle. As such the correspondence principle can explain the role of the action in classical mechanics and the emergence of determinism.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks guys.

I've been looking for some literature about cor. principle in my hometown libraries but haven't found much (I found most about Bohr's cp). The thing is I need as much literature I can get, because it's my diploma research. A few pages won't be enough. I attend mechanical engineering faculty so literature should be about cor. principle in physics. I've been looking over the internet, but haven't found enough (Wikipedia and so it's not enough).

Can you give me some internet base of that kind of literature?

What is the correspondence principle and how is it used in science?

The correspondence principle is a fundamental concept in science that states that new theories must agree with well-established theories in the appropriate limit. In other words, the predictions of a new theory must match those of the old theory when the conditions of the old theory are met. This principle is used to ensure the continuity of scientific progress and to guide the development of new theories.

What is the significance of the correspondence principle in scientific research?

The correspondence principle plays a crucial role in scientific research by providing a framework for evaluating new theories and their consistency with established knowledge. It also helps to identify potential gaps or inconsistencies in current theories, leading to further advancements and discoveries in science.

How does the correspondence principle apply to different fields of science?

The correspondence principle is a fundamental concept that applies to all fields of science, from physics to biology to psychology. It helps to maintain consistency and coherence in scientific knowledge across different disciplines and ensures that new theories do not contradict well-established principles.

Are there any limitations to the correspondence principle?

While the correspondence principle is a valuable tool in scientific research, it does have its limitations. It cannot be applied to theories that are completely different from established theories, and it does not guarantee the accuracy or validity of new theories. It is also important to note that the correspondence principle is a guiding principle and not a strict rule.

Can the correspondence principle be tested or proven?

The correspondence principle itself cannot be tested or proven, as it is a fundamental principle of science. However, its application to specific theories and experiments can be tested and validated through empirical evidence and peer review. This helps to strengthen the validity of the correspondence principle and its use in scientific research.