Solving for t in x(t): 0.94 Answers Discrepancy

• Thread starter JustinLiang
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two equations that are the same, but when trying to solve for a specific value, one equation gives a negative solution while the other gives a positive solution. The conversation also mentions the limitations of using the inverse cosine function and the concept of real solutions in mathematics.
JustinLiang
I know that the following two graphs are the same:

x(t)=0.15cos(10.21t+pi)
x(t)=-0.15cos(10.21t)

But when I try to solve for t given x=0.94 for the first function, when I plug it into my calculator I get -0.22s and the second function I get 0.22s. For the question I am doing I have to use the first function to get 0.22s, does anyone know how?

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLiang said:
I know that the following two graphs are the same:

x(t)=0.15cos(10.21t+pi)
x(t)=-0.15cos(10.21t)

But when I try to solve for t given x=0.94 for the first function, when I plug it into my calculator I get -0.22s and the second function I get 0.22s.
(Emphasis mine.) Not sure what you are saying here. Were you solving for t if x(t) = 0.94? If so, you won't find any (real) solutions. Do you see why?

eumyang said:
(Emphasis mine.) Not sure what you are saying here. Were you solving for t if x(t) = 0.94? If so, you won't find any (real) solutions. Do you see why?

I got 0.22s, I drew the 4 quadrants and it worked out. What do you mean by real solutions?

Looks like you made a typo. You wanted to set x(t) = 0.094, not 0.94.

I solved these graphically on my TI-84 and both 0.22 and -0.22 are solutions of both equations. If you were trying to solve by using the "cos-1" button, then you need to realize the limitations of doing that -- the range of the inverse cosine is only 0 to π.

JustinLiang said:
I got 0.22s, I drew the 4 quadrants and it worked out. What do you mean by real solutions?

There are things called complex numbers (real numbers are a part of this group) which are made up of two numbers, the first number is the real part and the second number is the "imaginary" part, real numbers are just complex numbers with the imaginary part equal to 0. Real numbers are just everything you've used in your life so far.

A real solution is one which can be expressed with real numbers, in the case of cosine with [itex]\displaystyle{x \in \Re}[/itex] (just a notation of saying that [itex]\displaystyle{x}[/itex] is a real number) it has a range of [itex]\displaystyle{-1 \leq \cos x \leq 1}[/itex] and in your case it would have to be [itex]\displaystyle{\geq 1}[/itex] to satisfy the equation which means the answer couldn't have been a real number.

1. How do you solve for t in x(t) given an answer discrepancy of 0.94?

In order to solve for t in x(t) with an answer discrepancy of 0.94, you will need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable t on one side of the equation. This may involve using inverse operations, factoring, or other techniques to simplify the equation.

2. What does it mean to solve for t in x(t)?

Solving for t in x(t) means finding the value of the variable t that makes the equation true. In other words, it is the value of t that satisfies the equation and makes it balanced.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for t in x(t) with an answer discrepancy of 0.94?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 2t + 5 = 13. To solve for t, we subtract 5 from both sides to get 2t = 8. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to get t = 4. However, if we plug in t = 4 into the original equation, we get 2(4) + 5 = 13, which gives us an answer discrepancy of 0.94.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for t in x(t)?

Some common mistakes when solving for t in x(t) include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to check the solution in the original equation for an answer discrepancy.

5. What should I do if I encounter a complex equation when solving for t in x(t)?

If you encounter a complex equation when solving for t in x(t), it may be helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also use online calculators or consult with a math tutor for assistance in solving complex equations.