Cosmology/Physics and programming

• Physics
  • Thread starter julz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's current job as a C++ programmer in the video game industry and their interest in pursuing a career in cosmology and physics. They ask for suggestions on a job that would combine their programming skills and be helpful to the scientific community without requiring them to start new studies from scratch. Possible options mentioned include programming jobs in astronomy or industrial research, as well as working for a company that specializes in visualization software or GPU programming. The speaker also suggests exploring past job postings in the AAS Job Register for more ideas.
julz
Hello everyone,

I currently have a Master (M2) in computer science and been working as a C++ programmer in the video games industry for 3 years, in Paris, France.
However, I don't really enjoy it anymore as I don't feel like it's being much "useful" and
the place is not that friendly.

I've always been really interested in cosmology and physics but I never felt like I had what it takes to
become a good physicist. However, now I would like to work in the domain, at my level of
course. I would be ready to study more to get up-to-date.

Do you have any idea of what kind of job I could find which would be interesting for a
programmer, and at the same time, a bit helpful to the scientific community, which
wouldn't require that I start new studies from scratch ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a fair number of programming-oriented jobs in astronomy, though many of them want a good physics/astronomy background; sometimes even a PhD. Here are a couple of currently advertised examples:

http://members.aas.org/JobReg/JobDetailPage.cfm?JobID=26440

http://members.aas.org/JobReg/JobDetailPage.cfm?JobID=26441

I don't know much about these kinds of jobs, though it looks like they follow about the same hiring schedule as research jobs, meaning that this isn't a good time of year. But you might spend some time looking back through the AAS Job Register archives to see what else has been available in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than academic research you might also want to consider industrial research. I have seen programmers employed in academic (physics) departments without much physics experience but it doesn't happen often. In industry you might have a better shot of getting a project-based job where you can angle in some physics work.

julz said:
Do you have any idea of what kind of job I could find which would be interesting for a programmer, and at the same time, a bit helpful to the scientific community, which wouldn't require that I start new studies from scratch ?

Try to get a job at a company that does visualization software. Also if you have any experience with GPU programming, that's something of a hot topic right now.

Something you can do to get a feel for this is to download/compile/run something like IRAF or Mayavi2.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your desire to find a role that combines your programming skills with your interest in cosmology and physics. Fortunately, there are many opportunities available for individuals with a background in computer science to contribute to the scientific community in these fields.

One option could be to pursue a career in scientific computing, where you would use your programming skills to develop and maintain software and algorithms for simulations and data analysis in cosmology and physics research. This would allow you to work closely with scientists and make a valuable contribution to their research projects.

Another possibility could be to work in a research and development role for a company that specializes in software for the scientific community. This would allow you to use your programming skills to create tools and applications that are specifically designed for cosmology and physics research.

Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer positions for programmers to work on large-scale projects in cosmology and physics. These roles often require a strong understanding of the subject matter, but your programming skills would also be highly valued in these environments.

I would recommend reaching out to professionals in the field and networking to learn more about the specific roles and opportunities available. You may also want to consider taking some courses or attending workshops to further develop your knowledge in cosmology and physics. With your background in computer science, you have a unique skill set that can be incredibly valuable in these fields. Best of luck in your search for a fulfilling and meaningful career in cosmology and physics.

1. What is cosmology and how is it related to physics?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is closely related to physics because it uses the laws and principles of physics to understand the behavior and properties of the universe on a large scale.

2. How is programming used in cosmology and physics research?

Programming is essential in cosmology and physics research because it allows scientists to analyze and process large amounts of data, create simulations of complex systems, and develop mathematical models to test theories and hypotheses.

3. What programming languages are commonly used in cosmology and physics?

The most commonly used programming languages in cosmology and physics are Python, C++, and Fortran. These languages are preferred because they are efficient, flexible, and have extensive libraries and frameworks for scientific computing.

4. Can non-programmers still contribute to cosmology and physics research?

Yes, non-programmers can contribute to cosmology and physics research by collaborating with programmers, providing insights and ideas, and helping with data collection and analysis. However, having programming skills can greatly enhance one's ability to contribute to research in these fields.

5. How can programming improve our understanding of the universe?

Programming allows scientists to process and analyze vast amounts of data, create simulations of complex systems, and test theoretical models. By using programming, researchers can make predictions about the behavior and properties of the universe, which can lead to a deeper understanding of its origins and evolution.