What is the Appropriate Cost Function for a Start Up Business?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining a cost function for a start-up business. The standard formula for total cost is fixed costs plus per unit cost multiplied by the number of units produced. However, the business is facing one-time development costs with no specific time dimension and is unsure about the per unit costs. The question is whether to add a time dimension to the cost function and if it will affect the interpretation and practical use of the equation. The suggested equation includes the one-time costs as well as the monthly fixed costs and per unit costs. The purpose of these calculations is to determine pricing and break-even point, and it is important to consider the tax implications of different accounting methods.
Entreprenewb

Homework Statement

Trying to determine appropriate cost function for my start up. Usually total cost= fixed costs + per unit cost* Q.
However, it is usually assumed your fixed costs are monthly recurring costs, like rent, utilities, etc. Many of the costs we face are one time development costs with no real time dimension. Let's say our monthly fixed costs are $4,500. We have one time costs of $25,000 right off the bat. I'm tempted to simply add a time dimension, but not sure if this is acceptable or if the resulting equation will be of any practical business use (IE, I'm not sure if it will have the same interpretation when I take derivatives, etc). We're not entirely sure what our per unit costs will be yet, but they are most likely very small, <$100.

Can anyone think of any obvious flaws with my approach? I would greatly appreciate any input, and understand this is slightly off topic for this forum.

Homework Equations

TC= FC + per unit cost* Q
Where,
TC= Total cost
FC= fixed costs
Q= units produced

The Attempt at a Solution

TC= $25,000 + ( $4,500*m) + (per unit costs *Q)

Where m= # of months.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I have been told that I can represent these one time costs as capital put into the business that will depreciate, or as a business loan with interest. However, I am still not sure how I would represent this in a cost function. Since I am paying all of these expenses out of pocket, it makes sense to view this as capital put into the business that will depreciate.

Does anyone know how to add this to a total cost function--or if this is even appropriate?

Entreprenewb said:

Homework Statement

Trying to determine appropriate cost function for my start up. Usually total cost= fixed costs + per unit cost* Q.
However, it is usually assumed your fixed costs are monthly recurring costs, like rent, utilities, etc. Many of the costs we face are one time development costs with no real time dimension. Let's say our monthly fixed costs are $4,500. We have one time costs of $25,000 right off the bat. I'm tempted to simply add a time dimension, but not sure if this is acceptable or if the resulting equation will be of any practical business use (IE, I'm not sure if it will have the same interpretation when I take derivatives, etc). We're not entirely sure what our per unit costs will be yet, but they are most likely very small, <$100.

Can anyone think of any obvious flaws with my approach? I would greatly appreciate any input, and understand this is slightly off topic for this forum.

Homework Equations

TC= FC + per unit cost* Q
Where,
TC= Total cost
FC= fixed costs
Q= units produced

The Attempt at a Solution

TC= $25,000 + ( $4,500*m) + (per unit costs *Q)

Where m= # of months.

Your equation in 3, is basically correct, insofar as it ignores the time-value of money.

A more basic issue is: for what purpose do you want to do these calculations? If, for example, you are contemplating several alternatives (such as alternative designs or product lines, or even alternative forms of business) then taking account of "time" effects is important. Several methods for doing this are discussed in Engineering Economics textbooks and in some on-line sources, such as
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-...ogy-spring-2004/lecture-notes/lec09slides.pdf

On the other hand, if there are not really any choices involved, but just "accounting" issues, then you can still apply various methods as discussed in the cited source, although the reasons for different choices are maybe less compelling. An important consideration is how the different accounting methods relate to the tax-payable. For example, depreciation is often listed as a line item and is applicable to the assessment of taxes (even though depreciation is not a true, actual cost at all---you don't actually pay out x actual dollars per month for depreciation). How to do it and the options available to you are to some extent jurisdiction-dependent, and so it would matter whether you are located in the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, etc.

Interesting. The purpose of running these calculations is to figure out how we should be pricing our service, and additionally, finding the point at which we will break even. I am in the US. I did not consider the tax implications of using different accounting methods. Thanks for the response.

What is a cost function for start up?

A cost function for a start up is a mathematical model that helps determine the total cost of starting and running a new business. It takes into account various expenses such as rent, equipment, salaries, and marketing costs to provide a comprehensive understanding of the financial requirements for starting a business.

Why is a cost function important for start ups?

A cost function is important for start ups because it helps entrepreneurs make informed decisions about their business. By understanding the total cost of starting and running a business, entrepreneurs can accurately budget and plan for expenses, set competitive prices for their products or services, and make strategic decisions to maximize profits.

How is a cost function calculated for a start up?

A cost function for a start up is calculated by summing up all the costs associated with starting and running a business. This includes fixed costs (such as rent and equipment) and variable costs (such as salaries and marketing). The formula for a cost function is: Total Cost = Fixed Costs + (Variable Costs x Quantity).

Can a cost function change over time for a start up?

Yes, a cost function for a start up can change over time. As the business grows, the costs associated with running it may change. For example, the cost of rent may increase as the business expands and requires a larger space. Additionally, as the business becomes more established, certain variable costs may decrease due to economies of scale.

How can a cost function help with decision making for a start up?

A cost function can help with decision making for a start up by providing a clear understanding of the costs associated with running the business. This allows entrepreneurs to make informed decisions about pricing, budgeting, and resource allocation. It also helps identify areas where costs can be reduced, allowing for more efficient and profitable operations.