What is the minimum number of items to manufacture for the lowest unit cost?

In summary, the cost of manufacturing x items is represented by C(x) = 625 + 15x + 0.01x^2 for 1 ≤ x ≤ 500. To find the minimum unit cost, the derivative of C(x)/x is set to 0 and solved for x. The derivative is found to be -625/x^2 + 0.02x, and solving for x gives the value of x that will minimize the unit cost.
thomasrules
Suppose that the cost of manufacturing x items is approximated by C(x)=625 + 15x +0.01x^2, for 1 < or equal to x < or equal to 500. The unit cost would then be U(x) = C(x)/x. How many items should be manufactured in order to ensure that the unit cost is minimized...

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO...

I started off by doing the derivative of the first equation, which was a guess but then what I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so [tex] C(x) = 625+15x+0.01x^2 [/tex] for [tex] 1 \leq x \leq 500 [/tex] The unit cost is [tex] \frac{625}{x} + 15+0.01x [/tex]. So find derivative of [tex] \frac{C(x)}{x} [/tex] and set it equal to 0 to find critical points. And then find your minimum

k I've got 0= -0.01+(15)x^-1+(625)x^-2

NOW WHAT...how to find x

[tex] \frac{dU}{dx} = \frac{-625}{x^2} + 0.01 [/tex]. Now solve for x.

dude what happened to the 15x^-1 !

when you have a constant thomas such as 15, you don't consider it as [tex]\frac{15}{x^0}[/tex] and differentiate as usual. Constants simply disappear when differentiated with respect to a variable. So you don't have [tex]\frac{15}{x}[/tex].

One thing you have to be careful about; when you set [tex]\frac{dU}{dx}=0[/tex] you are looking for maximuns and minimums, you might also need to do a 2nd Derivative test to find out which one it is.

ok so if my equation was right: 0=-0.01+(15)x^-1+(625)x^-2

Then I did what you suggested ryoukomaru and did the second derivative of that.

I got 0= -15x^-2-1250x^-3

I HATE THIS PLEASE HELP

No, your equation is NOT right- that's what Ryoukumaru was telling you. He said "you DON'T have 15/x"!

C(x)/x= 625/x+ 15+ 0.01x2

The derivative of 625/x= 625x-1= -625x-2.
The derivative of 15, a constant, is 0!
The derivative of 0.01x2 is 0.02 x.

The derivative of C(x)/x= -625-2+ 0.02x. Set that equal to 0 and solve for x.

k thanks i got it

What is the cost of manufacturing problem?

The cost of manufacturing problem refers to the challenges and difficulties that arise in determining and managing the expenses associated with producing a product or item. It involves analyzing and optimizing all the costs involved in the production process to ensure efficiency and profitability.

What factors contribute to the cost of manufacturing problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to the cost of manufacturing problem, such as raw material costs, labor costs, energy and transportation costs, overhead expenses, and production inefficiencies. Changes in market conditions and regulations can also impact manufacturing costs.

How do you calculate the cost of manufacturing?

The cost of manufacturing is calculated by adding together all the expenses involved in the production process, including direct costs (such as materials and labor) and indirect costs (such as overhead and administrative expenses). This calculation helps companies understand their production costs and identify areas for cost reduction.

What are some strategies for reducing the cost of manufacturing?

There are several strategies that can help reduce the cost of manufacturing, such as optimizing the supply chain, streamlining production processes, investing in technology and automation, negotiating better deals with suppliers, and implementing lean manufacturing practices. Regularly reviewing and analyzing costs can also help identify areas for improvement.

How can the cost of manufacturing problem be managed and minimized?

The cost of manufacturing problem can be managed and minimized through careful planning, cost analysis, and continuous improvement efforts. Companies can also consider implementing cost-saving measures, such as using alternative materials, outsourcing certain tasks, and negotiating better contracts. Regularly monitoring and adjusting production processes can also help minimize costs over time.