Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Could a distribution of magnetic Dipoles create an Energy minimum

1. Jun 10, 2017 #1
    The think is that I would like to create a magnetic trap "minimum of magnetic potential energy in all 3 directions of space" using a distribution of magnetic dipoles as a field generator.

In other words, I would like to know if setting in some way some magnetic dipoles is possible to create a point in space [x,y,z] with a magnetic field that surrounds this position having a lower value in all directions, in order to put a particle with the dipole moment aligned to the magnetic field at position [x,y,z] and could remain there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's a description of a magnetic field with non-zero divergence. Unfortunately, magnetic fields have zero divergence.

4. Jun 10, 2017 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jun 11, 2017 #4
    [/QUOTE]

Is exactly the opposite of this, A Magnetic bottles is usefull for charged particles, iI don't have a charged particle, instead I have a neutral particle with dipole moment. So based on the formula $$E=-\vec{m}*\vec{B}$$ a minimum in energy will be when having a maximum in magnetic field, So i wolud like to create some distribution of dipoles f.ex, something similar to this:
    nmat4402-f1.jpg

That have a minimum in energy somewhere in space.

6. Jun 11, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Jun 11, 2017 #6
    Just to preempt the inevitable YouTube videos, Earnshaw's theorem only applies to static and paramagnetic magnets. You can levitate things by using diamagnetic materials, or by varying the fields dynamically.

8. Jun 12, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why are we guessing? He told us what he wants. Very specifically. One of the bad habits of PF is that we guess at the question, but in this case we have a very specific question, with a very specific answer, and we're still guessing that the OP might want something else as the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted