Could anyone help me about engineering?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in engineering studies between the United States and Spain. In the US, engineering studies typically last 4 years, with the possibility of pursuing a graduate degree afterwards. In Spain, engineering studies last 5 courses, which is equivalent to about 5 years. There is a perception that Spanish engineers are "brave" for enduring the longer program.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm interested about U.S. studies of engineering. I'm from Spain, here we start our engineering studies at eighteen years old. Our studies last five courses of one year each one. It has about 400 credits (4000 hours). I'm studying the fourth course of Industrial Engineering.
What do you think? Is it too long? How long are this kind of careers in your country?. Do you finish your studies at 23 years old?.
It is said that spanish engineers are too brave in order to bear the five courses that are almost a hell!.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the US we go to college at about age 18 and study for 4 years. For engineers anyway, graduate degrees are common, requiring an additional two (sometimes taken much later).

5 years is a long time, but is not unwarranted.

Hello, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have about engineering and studying in the United States. I can understand your interest in pursuing engineering studies in the US, as it is a highly regarded field here.

In the US, engineering studies typically begin after completing high school at around 18 years old. However, there are also options to start engineering studies at a community college or technical school before transferring to a university. The duration of engineering programs varies, but most bachelor's degree programs are around 4-5 years in total. This includes both classroom instruction and hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs.

As for the number of credits, it also varies depending on the program and university. However, most bachelor's degree programs require around 120-130 credits to graduate. This typically includes general education courses in addition to major-specific courses.

In terms of age, it is not uncommon for students to finish their engineering studies at 23 years old. Some may take longer if they choose to pursue a double major or participate in co-op programs, while others may finish earlier if they have transfer credits or take summer courses.

As for the reputation of Spanish engineers being "too brave," I cannot speak to that as I am not familiar with the education system in Spain. However, engineering is a challenging field no matter where you study, and it requires dedication and hard work. But with proper time management and support from professors and classmates, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

I hope this information helps you in your decision to study engineering in the US. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of science, mathematics, and technology to design, create, and maintain structures, machines, systems, and processes.

2. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and has its own unique set of skills and knowledge.

3. How do I become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Some engineers also go on to earn a master's degree or Ph.D. in a specialized area of engineering. You may also need to obtain a professional engineering license, depending on your field of engineering and the state in which you plan to work.

4. What skills are important for a career in engineering?

Some important skills for a career in engineering include strong math and science skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team. Good communication skills, both written and verbal, are also essential for an engineer to effectively convey complex technical information to others.

5. What are some common challenges faced by engineers?

Some common challenges faced by engineers include finding solutions to complex problems, meeting strict deadlines, working within a budget, and staying up-to-date with new technologies and advancements in their field. In addition, engineers often need to work with multiple stakeholders, such as clients, government agencies, and other team members, which can present communication and collaboration challenges.