Could firewalls be real and black holes a chimera? (Hewitt)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter marcus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Black holes Holes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
24,752
Reaction score
795
http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.03066
String condensation: Nemesis of Black Holes?
Michael Hewitt
(Submitted on 11 Oct 2015)
This paper puts forward a conjecture that there are no black holes in M theory. We will show that a mechanism to prevent black hole formation is needed in 4 dimensions to make string theory a viable high energy model of quantum gravity. Black hole formation may be averted by a gravity regulation mechanism based on string condensation. In this scenario, black holes are replaced by `hot holograms' that form during gravitational collapse. The geometric conditions based on the properties of free thermalon solutions that are proposed for conversion to a high temperature hologram to occur, however, are local and generic in dimension and could apply throughout M space. This idea can be applied to resolve the problems presented by the process of black hole evaporation, which appears to be inconsistent with quantum information theory. Whereas, in the conventional view, black holes are real and firewalls are probably a chimera, in the scenario proposed here that situation would be reversed.
11 pages; Contribution to the International Conference 'Planck 2015: From the Planck Scale to the Electroweak Scale 25-29 May 2015, Ioannina, Greece
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus what are the implications of the paper to m-theory as a candidate theory of QG? that it does not correctly describe black holes contrary to observation and is therefore not a candidate theory of quantum gravity
 
Kodama, I am worried about this guy's credentials. He has only published one paper, in 1993. And it has only been cited by himself, in his own unpublished papers. He does not have the recognition by colleagues or the track record of people whose work I ordinarily start a thread about. So I have been wondering if I should erase this thread. What caught my attention was the very strange idea that the firewall (which most people think is a mistaken idea, symptomatic of some flaw in theory) is real and the BH is not. What should I do? Do you think I should delete this thread because too fringe, too wacky? He is a string theorist. I do not feel qualified to judge.
 
marcus said:
Kodama, I am worried about this guy's credentials. He has only published one paper, in 1993. And it has only been cited by himself, in his own unpublished papers. He does not have the recognition by colleagues or the track record of people whose work I ordinarily start a thread about. So I have been wondering if I should erase this thread. What caught my attention was the very strange idea that the firewall (which most people think is a mistaken idea, symptomatic of some flaw in theory) is real and the BH is not. What should I do? Do you think I should delete this thread because too fringe, too wacky? He is a string theorist. I do not feel qualified to judge.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Hewitt2


http://www.researchgate.net/institution/Canterbury_Christ_Church_University , Canterbury

Theoretical Physics, Cosmology, Mathematical Physics
M.Sc Mathematics University of Kent BA Mathematics University of Oxford
5.25
Follow Researcher
First degree Mathematics, University of Oxford 1977
MSc Mathematics University of Kent 1980

Research interests: String theory, black holes, cosmology, quantum information theory
  • Supersymmetry
  • Theoretical Particle Physics
  • Quantum Field Theory
  • Gravitational Physics
  • String Theory
  • Astrophysics
  • STRING
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • Mathematical Physics
  • Special and General Relativity
  • General Relativity
  • Theoretical High Energy Physics
  • High Energy Physics Theory
  • Field Theory

perhaps any string theorists here can volunteer a comment?
 
Last edited by a moderator: