Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could firewalls be real and black holes a chimera? (Hewitt)

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.03066
    String condensation: Nemesis of Black Holes?
    Michael Hewitt
    (Submitted on 11 Oct 2015)
    This paper puts forward a conjecture that there are no black holes in M theory. We will show that a mechanism to prevent black hole formation is needed in 4 dimensions to make string theory a viable high energy model of quantum gravity. Black hole formation may be averted by a gravity regulation mechanism based on string condensation. In this scenario, black holes are replaced by `hot holograms' that form during gravitational collapse. The geometric conditions based on the properties of free thermalon solutions that are proposed for conversion to a high temperature hologram to occur, however, are local and generic in dimension and could apply throughout M space. This idea can be applied to resolve the problems presented by the process of black hole evaporation, which appears to be inconsistent with quantum information theory. Whereas, in the conventional view, black holes are real and firewalls are probably a chimera, in the scenario proposed here that situation would be reversed.
    11 pages; Contribution to the International Conference 'Planck 2015: From the Planck Scale to the Electroweak Scale 25-29 May 2015, Ioannina, Greece

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    Marcus what are the implications of the paper to m-theory as a candidate theory of QG? that it does not correctly describe black holes contrary to observation and is therefore not a candidate theory of quantum gravity

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Kodama, I am worried about this guy's credentials. He has only published one paper, in 1993. And it has only been cited by himself, in his own unpublished papers. He does not have the recognition by colleagues or the track record of people whose work I ordinarily start a thread about. So I have been wondering if I should erase this thread. What caught my attention was the very strange idea that the firewall (which most people think is a mistaken idea, symptomatic of some flaw in theory) is real and the BH is not. What should I do? Do you think I should delete this thread because too fringe, too wacky? He is a string theorist. I do not feel qualified to judge.

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5
    http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Hewitt2 [Broken]

http://www.researchgate.net/institution/Canterbury_Christ_Church_University [Broken], Canterbury

Theoretical Physics, Cosmology, Mathematical Physics
    M.Sc Mathematics University of Kent BA Mathematics University of Oxford
    Follow Researcher
    First degree Mathematics, University of Oxford 1977
    MSc Mathematics University of Kent 1980

Research interests: String theory, black holes, cosmology, quantum information theory
    • Supersymmetry
    • Theoretical Particle Physics
    • Quantum Field Theory
    • Gravitational Physics
    • String Theory
    • Astrophysics
    • STRING
    • Quantum Mechanics
    • Mathematical Physics
    • Special and General Relativity
    • General Relativity
    • Theoretical High Energy Physics
    • High Energy Physics Theory
    • Field Theory

perhaps any string theorists here can volunteer a comment?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook