Could one use a capacitor to enhance a capacitive stylus?

• Thread starter lostminty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, Dave is thinking about using a static electricity stick to make a finer point on a capacitive touchscreen. This is not possible without a stylus, and is not a practical idea.
lostminty
I don't well understand capacitance and its use in touch screens. Just had a crazy idea that you could involve a charged capacitor to enhance the accuracy of a stylus.

Engineering news on Phys.org
capacitive touchscreens don't use a stylus they require finger touch

have a look at this wiki page ... scroll down to the capacitive section...

In this basic technology, only one side of the insulator is coated with a conductive layer. A small voltage is applied to the layer, resulting in a uniform electrostatic field. When a conductor, such as a human finger, touches the uncoated surface, a capacitor is dynamically formed. The sensor's controller can determine the location of the touch indirectly from the change in the capacitance as measured from the four corners of the panel. As it has no moving parts, it is moderately durable but has limited resolution, is prone to false signals from parasitic capacitive coupling, and needs calibration during manufacture. It is therefore most often used in simple applications such as industrial controls and kiosks.

if the touchscreen responds to stylus or finger then it will be a resistive touchscreen

Dave

What I'd like to know is which direction is the field that is measured?
into or out of the plane

its measured across/along the plane
ie. between the place of touch and the 4 corners of the touch panel

Dave

You can absolutely use a stylus on a capacitive screen. I am using one as I write this on my iPad, which is capacitive. You need a special capacitive stylus, though. It is conductive and typically has a rubber-like tip.

yeah a special one , not some random pointer of some sort

that's what makes them so incompatible for easy everyday use

Dave

What I want to do is have a mono pole capacitor so that the tip size can be reduced. I'm probably concepting it wrong though to think that would work. Essentially it would be static electricity on a stick.

1. Can a capacitor be used to improve the performance of a capacitive stylus?

Yes, a capacitor can be used to enhance the sensitivity and accuracy of a capacitive stylus. By adding a capacitor to the tip of the stylus, it can increase the amount of charge that is transferred to the device's touch screen, resulting in a more precise and responsive touch.

2. How does a capacitor work in a capacitive stylus?

A capacitor works by storing and releasing electrical energy. In a capacitive stylus, the capacitor acts as a conductive tip that interacts with the device's touch screen. When the stylus touches the screen, it creates a small electrical charge, which is then transferred to the device through the capacitor.

3. What type of capacitor is best for enhancing a capacitive stylus?

The type of capacitor that is best for enhancing a capacitive stylus is a high-quality, low-resistance capacitor. This type of capacitor will have a faster response time and better conductivity, resulting in improved performance for the stylus.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a capacitor in a capacitive stylus?

One potential drawback of using a capacitor in a capacitive stylus is that it may add weight and bulkiness to the stylus. This can make it less comfortable to use for extended periods of time. Additionally, if the capacitor is not properly installed or is of low quality, it may not improve the stylus's performance.

5. Can a capacitor be added to an existing capacitive stylus?

Yes, a capacitor can be added to an existing capacitive stylus. However, it is important to note that this may require some technical knowledge and skill, as well as the appropriate tools. It is recommended to consult with a professional or do thorough research before attempting to modify a stylus in this way.