Coulombs Law Help: Variables Explained

In summary, Coulombs's law states that the force between charged particles (q1 and q2) is proportional to the product of the charges (q1 and q2) and the distance between them (R).
kyzill
Can someone tell me the variables in coulomb's law?
much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The variables in coulomb's law are the charges of the charged bodies (q1 and q2), the distance between them R, and the permissibility Eo of the medium in which the system is.

SrEstroncio said:
The variables in coulomb's law are the charges of the charged bodies (q1 and q2), the distance between them R, and the permissibility Eo of the medium in which the system is.

I believe you mean permittivity, but this is only in specific measurement systems, like SI. In general, we just have an abstract constant k. The constant k serves as a means of converting the law for whatever system of measurement we use. For example, in MKS, k is 1/(4\pi \epsilon_0) where \epsilon_0 is the permittivity of free space (assuming vacuum background medium). In Gaussian CGS units, k is simply 1.

Born2bwire said:
I believe you mean permittivity, but this is only in specific measurement systems, like SI. In general, we just have an abstract constant k. The constant k serves as a means of converting the law for whatever system of measurement we use. For example, in MKS, k is 1/(4\pi \epsilon_0) where \epsilon_0 is the permittivity of free space (assuming vacuum background medium). In Gaussian CGS units, k is simply 1.

Uh, yeah, sorry about the misspelling of the word, english is not my mother tongue. When I said that permittivity was a variable I was thinking about how the permittivity constant epsilon changes depending on the medium in which the force between the charged object is exerted (i.e. the permittivity of the vacuum differs from the permittivity of water and therefore forces between the same two charged particles may vary between mediums, making the medium a "variable" )

kyzill said:
Can someone tell me the variables in coulomb's law?
much appreciated
i think you are confused in permitivty of the mediun.
As you must have abserved that when we palce two magnets at a distance they will repell or atrract each other and when(in case of atrraction)you push them away you will feel the force but when you place something b/w them the u will feel that by pushing them away you are exerting less force than the first case.it is b/c the of medium b/w the.the same case is with the chages.
Coulombs's law states that:
q1.q2
F=---------
4(pi)Eo r.r
here Eo is the standrad constan.in case when there is no resistive medium which can reduce the force so we use Eo.when the medium reduce some froce it will equal to the force in vacuum which is exerted at the same magnitude of charges at the same distance devided by Er.it can be written as:
F
F'= ----
Er
=>Er=F/F'
and also
Er=E/Eo
where E is permitivity of the medium.

i m in hurry. so can't present this better.if u r not understanded then i m sorry.

k thanks u guys!

thanks guys you also solved my problem!.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the resulting force between them.

2. What are the variables in Coulomb's Law?

The variables in Coulomb's Law include the magnitude of the electric charges (q1 and q2), the distance between the charges (r), and the permittivity of the medium between the charges (ε).

3. How does the distance between charges affect the force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

4. What is the permittivity of a medium?

The permittivity of a medium is a measure of how easily it can be polarized by an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

5. How is Coulomb's Law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's Law is used in various fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and telecommunications to understand and analyze the behavior of electric charges and their interactions. It is also used in designing electrical circuits and devices.