Coulomb's law in its vector form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of images and formulas on a forum to express the direction of a charge in relation to another charge. It is stated that charge density can be negative and this can help indicate direction. The conversation also mentions the use of the vector form E to express direction and provides a resource for learning how to use formulas on the forum.
ConfusedRookie
sorry I have use the image I made. Since I don't know how to perform the formula on forum :(
This is the problem I am having.
wtf12345.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Rookie, :welcome:

You would miss the direction of ##\vec F## if one of the two charges has a charge opposite to the other...
In other words: ##\vec F## can be in the same direction as ##\vec r## or it can be in the opposite direction.

suggest2.png

BvU said:
Hello Rookie, :welcome:

You would miss the direction of ##\vec F## if one of the two charges has a charge opposite to the other...
In other words: ##\vec F## can be in the same direction as ##\vec r## or it can be in the opposite direction.
Oh my god. I've just realized without the absolute symbols. It would be more easier to express the direction. Oh my oh my thank you very much teacher :)

My pleasure

BvU said:
My pleasure
Teacher. There's one more thing I would like to ask. I see there are many formula using "charge density". Is charge density able to be negative !?

ae544e.gif

If a charge density can be negative, it is very much easy to express its direction. I didn't find any vector form E that use the unit vector to express direction. They mainly focus on the magnitude.

With ##\vec F = q\vec E\ ## you can use (almost) the same expression

Charge density can be negative, yes: negative charge leads to negative charge density :smile:

Your picture in post #6 comes through as a lot of letters/numbers :nb)

ConfusedRookie said:
Since I don't know how to perform the formula on forum :(
Click HELP at the bottom of any page and then LaTeX Primer.

What is Coulomb's law in its vector form?

Coulomb's law in its vector form is a mathematical equation that describes the force between two charged particles. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the force, represented by vectors.

What is the equation for Coulomb's law in its vector form?

The equation for Coulomb's law in its vector form is F = k(q1q2/r^2) * r̂, where F is the force vector, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, r is the distance between them, and r̂ is a unit vector in the direction of the force.

How is Coulomb's constant related to the permittivity of free space?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is equal to 1/(4πε0), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space. This constant is used to convert the force between two charged particles into a measurable value.

Can Coulomb's law in its vector form be applied to more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's law in its vector form can be applied to any number of charged particles. The total force on a particle is the vector sum of all individual forces from the other particles.

What is the significance of the direction of the force in Coulomb's law in its vector form?

The direction of the force in Coulomb's law in its vector form is important as it indicates the direction in which the particles will move. If the force is positive, the particles will repel each other, and if the force is negative, the particles will attract each other.