Ampere's law in differential form

In summary: The minus sign is there because we do the convention to consider the positive direction of walking through the loop, the counter clockwise direction. So we take as positive the ##B_x(y)dx ## and negative the ##B_x(y+dy)dx##, so the contribution will be ##(B_x(y)-B_x(y+dy))dx## and by similar reasoning as that in the previous paragraph (with the roles of x and y swapped) we can see that ##(B_x(y)-B_x(y+dy))=-\frac{\partial B_x}{\partial y} dy##Is this the decomposition of the two vectors B' and
DottZakapa
Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.03.28.png
According to this image, in the attached files there is the demonstration of the ampere's law in differential form. Bur i have some difficulties in understanding some passages. Probably I'm not understanding how to consider those two magnetic vectors oriented and why have different name.

in particular:

the following, i don't get why do i need such partial derivative
Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.03.55.png

following, i don't understand why that minus in front of the partial derivative

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.04.24.png

Is there anyone so kindly patient to help?
thanks

Attachments

• phy_.pdf
    320.7 KB · Views: 206
  • phy-2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.04.05.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.04.05.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 187
Physics news on Phys.org
By the scheme, we can see that ##B_y## is the y-component of magnetic field at location ##x+dx## (along the segment QR), and ##B'_y## is the y-component of magnetic field at location ## x## (along the segement PS) (I consider the point ##P## has coordinates ##(x,y)##). The definition of the partial derivative of ##B_y## with respect to ##x## is (for infinitesimal ##dx##)
$$\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial x}=\frac{B_y(x+dx)-B_y(x)}{dx}=\frac{B_y-B'_y}{dx}$$
from which it follows that $$B_y-B'_y=\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial x}dx$$.

The minus sign is there because we do the convention to consider the positive direction of walking through the loop, the counter clockwise direction. So we take as positive the ##B_x(y)dx ## and negative the ##B_x(y+dy)dx##, so the contribution will be ##(B_x(y)-B_x(y+dy))dx## and by similar reasoning as that in the previous paragraph (with the roles of x and y swapped) we can see that ##(B_x(y)-B_x(y+dy))=-\frac{\partial B_x}{\partial y} dy##

Last edited:
new vec.png

Is this the decomposition of the two vectors B' and B that i have to consider?
If not, my main problem is that I'm not understanding how the two vectors ore oriented in the lines. I understand what is the positive circulation of the integral, the main thing is that i am not seeing where on each segment the vector component is pointing.

Yes that is the decomposition of the two vectors. What's the problem with it?

We don't have to know if they point left or right or up or down. The reason that they become negative when we take the dot product ##\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{l}## is that the vector ##d\vec{l}## (which always points counterclockwise) becomes negative with respect to the positive unit vector ##u_x## or ##u_y##. So for example at the segment PQ it is ##d\vec{l}=dx\vec{u_x}## while at the segment RS it is ##d\vec{l}=-dx\vec{u_x}##

Delta2 said:
Yes that is the decomposition of the two vectors. What's the problem with it?

We don't have to know if they point left or right or up or down. The reason that they become negative when we take the dot product ##\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{l}## is that the vector ##d\vec{l}## (which always points counterclockwise) becomes negative with respect to the positive unit vector ##u_x## or ##u_y##. So for example at the segment PQ it is ##d\vec{l}=dx\vec{u_x}## while at the segment RS it is ##d\vec{l}=-dx\vec{u_x}##
i agree with that so as you say it is
## \int_p^q B_x\,dx= Bdx##

##\int_r^s B_x'\,dx=\space -B'dx ##

therefore
##(B_x-B_x')dx##

then

## B_x-B'_x=dB_x##

##dB_x=##
how the minus comes up in front of the partial?

it is actually ##B_x-B'_x=-dB_x## because ##B'_x=B_x(y+dy)## and ##B_x=B_x(y)##.

1. What is Ampere's law in differential form?

Ampere's law in differential form is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces. It is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and is used to calculate the magnetic field at a given point in space.

2. What is the difference between Ampere's law in integral form and differential form?

The main difference between Ampere's law in integral form and differential form is the way the equation is expressed. In integral form, the equation is written as a line integral around a closed loop, while in differential form, it is expressed as a partial derivative of the magnetic field with respect to position.

3. How is Ampere's law in differential form derived?

Ampere's law in differential form is derived from the integral form using the Stokes' theorem. This theorem relates a line integral around a closed loop to a surface integral over the area enclosed by the loop. By applying this theorem to Ampere's law in integral form, we can derive the differential form.

4. What are the limitations of Ampere's law in differential form?

Ampere's law in differential form is only valid for steady-state situations where the magnetic field does not change over time. It also assumes that the current is confined to a region where the magnetic field is being calculated. If these conditions are not met, the law may not accurately predict the magnetic field.

5. How is Ampere's law in differential form used in practical applications?

Ampere's law in differential form is used in various practical applications, such as designing and analyzing electric motors and generators, calculating the magnetic field of a solenoid, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology in medicine.