Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!

• MHB
  • Thread starter veronica1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving arranging a list of numbers and the solution is provided. The number 1 must appear somewhere in the list and its position determines the number of possible arrangements. If 1 is in the first position, there is only one possible arrangement. If 1 is in any other position, there are \(2^{k-2}\) possible arrangements, where k is the position of 1. Therefore, the total number of arrangements is 512.
veronica1999
I have been working on this problem for a while and I am stuck,
Can I get some hints pls?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 10bb.jpg
    10bb.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 62
Mathematics news on Phys.org
veronica1999 said:

Thanks.
Can two of the $a_i's$ be equal?

I don't think so because the answer is (b) 512.

veronica1999 said:

Thanks.

Hi veronica1999, :)

The number 1 should appear somewhere in the list. If 1 is the first number on the list, the list can only be written in one particular way under the given criteria. That is, \((1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)\).

Suppose 1 appear at the \(k^{\mbox{th}}\) position of the list where \(k\neq 1\). Then 2 should precede 1. If 2 is not the 1st number, 3 should precede 2 and so on. Further suppose that \(n\) is the 1st number on the list and \(m\) be the maximum number that precedes 1. If \(m\) is not in the first position of the list(that is \(n\neq m\)) then \(m-1\) should precede \(m\), if \(m-1\) is not in the first position \(m-2\) should precede \(m-1\) and so on. This continues until \(m-i=n\) for some \(i=1,2,\cdots,m-2\). Therefore, \(k=m\).

In other words if you have 1 at the \(k^{\mbox{th}}\) position you have all the numbers upto \(k-1\) preceding 1.

Also you can see that according to the given criteria if \(k\neq 10\) number at the \((k+1)^\mbox{th}\) position should be, \(k+1\). If \(k+1\neq 10\) then the number at the \((k+2)^\mbox{th}\) position should be \(k+2\) and so on. This continues until \(k+j=10\) for some \(j=0,2,\cdots,8\).

So we only have to count the number of arrangements that could be made by the numbers that precedes 1. This is the number of arrangements that could be made from the situation where 1 is at the \(k^\mbox{th}\) position.

Also it can be seen according to the above discussion that, 2 or \(k\) should be at the \((k-1)^\mbox{th}\) position of the list.

Case 1: If \(k\) is at the \((k-1)^\mbox{th}\) position of the list then 2 or \(k-1\) should be at the \((k-2)^\mbox{th}\) position of the list.

Case 2: If \(2\) is at the \((k-1)^\mbox{th}\) position of the list then 3 or \(k\) should be at the \((k-2)^\mbox{th}\) position of the list.

Arguing in a similar fashion we can see that, every position before the \(k^\mbox{th}\) position up to the 2nd position can have two different values. Finally the remaining number can be put into the first position.

Therefore the number of arrangements when 1 is at the \(k^\mbox{th}\) position is, \(2^{k-2}\) where \(k=2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10\).

Summary:

1) If 1is the first number on the list\((k=1)\), then the list can be arranged in one way. That is, \((1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)\).

2) There are \(2^{k-2}\) lists with 1 at the \(k^\mbox{th}\) position where \(k=2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10\).

Therefore the total Number of arrangements\( = 1+2^0+2^1+2^2+2^3+\cdots+2^8=512\)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

I understand the frustration of being stuck on a problem. It can be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. Have you considered brainstorming or discussing the problem with a colleague? Sometimes a fresh perspective can provide new insights. Additionally, reviewing any relevant literature or conducting further research on the topic may also provide helpful hints. Remember to stay patient and persistent in your problem-solving approach. Good luck!

1. What is "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!"?

"Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" is a platform or resource that provides helpful hints, tips, and strategies for individuals who are stuck on a problem or struggling with a particular concept. It aims to help individuals overcome their roadblocks and find solutions to their problems.

2. How can "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" help me with my problem?

"Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" offers a variety of helpful hints, tips, and strategies that have been proven to be effective in problem-solving. These hints are provided by experts in various fields and can help you approach your problem from a different perspective, identify potential solutions, and overcome any roadblocks you may be facing.

3. Is "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" only for scientific problems?

No, "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" can be used for any type of problem, not just scientific ones. The hints and strategies provided can be applied to various subjects and fields, including but not limited to math, technology, languages, and more. The goal is to help individuals develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities that can be applied in any situation.

4. Are the hints provided by "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" guaranteed to solve my problem?

While the hints and strategies provided by "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" have been proven to be effective, there is no guarantee that they will solve your specific problem. Different problems may require different approaches, and it's important to keep an open mind and try various strategies until you find one that works for you.

5. Is "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" a free resource?

Yes, "Stuck on a Problem? Get Some Helpful Hints!" is a free resource available to anyone who needs help with problem-solving. It is accessible online, and you can browse through the hints and tips at your convenience. However, some hints or resources may require a paid subscription or fee, but these are optional and not necessary for accessing the main features of the platform.