Counting Principles: All Surjections from A to B

• Thread starter StopWatch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of counting all surjections from a set A to a set B, where |A| = |B| + 1. The use of the pigeonhole principle is suggested as a possible method for solving the problem. The conversation also touches on the concept of surjections, and the importance of allowing individuals to discover solutions for themselves.
StopWatch

Homework Statement

Count all surjections of A to B, (f: A ---> B) where |A| = |B| + 1

Homework Equations

None? This is just a problem I came across online.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure. This isn't technically homework, but I'm just looking for a good method. I thought maybe the pigeonhole principle might help?

Physics news on Phys.org
StopWatch said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure. This isn't technically homework, but I'm just looking for a good method. I thought maybe the pigeonhole principle might help?

If |B|=n is finite, then there are n*n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*1 ways to arrange n+1 object ONTO n slots; if |B| is infinite, then the answer is uncountable

Do you mean n+1 x n x n-1 etc. ? And don't worry they're finite, thanks for the response.

Also could you point me to somewhere that would prove why this is true?

StopWatch said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Here's a somewhat easier problem that may help.

Count the surjections of C to B, (f: C → B) where |C| = |B| .

StopWatch said:
Also could you point me to somewhere that would prove why this is true?

My apologies, the answer should be (n+1)!*n/2, because you first choose 2 element to map to a single slot, that is (n+1)n/2, then you permute the n groups of elements onto n slot, that's n!, so the total is (n+1)!*n/2

sunjin09 said:
My apologies, the answer should be (n+1)!*n/2, because you first choose 2 element to map to a single slot, that is (n+1)n/2, then you permute the n groups of elements onto n slot, that's n!, so the total is (n+1)!*n/2
An important principle of these Forums is to help those who post questions to discover the solutions for themselves. It's not to give the answers.

See the link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380. In particular, look at "Homework Help."

Related to Counting Principles: All Surjections from A to B

What is the definition of "Counting Principles: All Surjections from A to B"?

Counting Principles: All Surjections from A to B is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of possible ways to map all elements from set A to set B in a one-to-one and onto manner.

What is the formula for calculating the number of surjections from A to B?

The formula for calculating the number of surjections from A to B is n^m, where n is the number of elements in set A and m is the number of elements in set B.

How is this concept related to other counting principles?

This concept is closely related to other counting principles such as permutations, combinations, and bijections. It is a more specific case of bijections, where all elements from set A must be mapped to set B.

Can the number of surjections from A to B be greater than the number of bijections?

No, the number of surjections from A to B cannot be greater than the number of bijections. This is because surjections are a subset of bijections, and the total number of surjections cannot exceed the total number of bijections.

What are some real-life applications of this concept?

This concept has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the number of ways a team of players can be selected for a game or the number of possible outcomes in a voting system.