Turkey Coup Attempt: Latest Updates

• News
  • Thread starter Garlic
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, I'd say so.In summary, the coup is apparently happening, and there are reports of gunshots and tanks in the streets. People are gathering in places to oppose the coup, but it doesn't seem to be a dangerous situation yet.
The Wikileaks are available if anyone is interested.

Search the AKP email database

Unfortunately, they are mostly in Turkish.

Note to non-Turkish speakers who might be interested:
My Chrome browser would not offer to translate the documents, so I manually cut and paste them into "Google Translate".
I later discovered that you can right-click on the emails, and Chrome gives you an option there to translate them.
The option is NOT in the Chrome menu bar, that I could find. :oldgrumpy:

I did a search for "Gulen", and came up with 137 documents.
Most appear to be harvested from: Turkiye-icin-el-ele@googlegroups.com
The few Turkish documents I translated were uninteresting.
Only one was in English, and was somewhat interesting, for the US-Turkish recent historical perspective:

[Turkish Forum - E Turkiyeyiz Biz] Newly Released U.S. State Dept. Human Rights Report for 2015 Slams Turkey & Egypt
To: eturkiyeyizbiz@googlegroups.com, turkish-forum-advisory-board@googlegroups.com
Date: 2016-04-14 11:25
Subject: [Turkish Forum - E Turkiyeyiz Biz] Newly Released U.S. State Dept. Human Rights Report for 2015 Slams Turkey & Egypt​

The document appears to contain nothing that was not already publicly accessible. [U.S. State Dept re: Turkey]
But does, as the subject line states, slam Turkey's pre-coup abuses of freedom in the country.

It's very long, so I just skimmed it.
Interesting highlights can be found by searching for "Gulen".

example; "A number of media outlets affiliated with the Fethullah Gulen movement were dropped from digital media platforms (cable providers) and five outlets were taken under the control of government-appointed trustees. Representatives of Gulenist and some liberal media outlets were denied access to official events and in some cases, denied press accreditation."

Likes jim hardy, HossamCFD and EnumaElish
Physics news on Phys.org
Alleged coup leader: Gen. Akin Ozturk, member of the supreme military council, previously head of the Turkish AF. Used to be military intelligence at some point. He was apprehended, questioned, in custody. In his testimony he rejected the accusation that he was the leader or part of the coup, or knew anything about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akın_Öztürk

There are posts that it's divine justice that "he who bombed Kurds" is now in handcuffs, appears physically injured as he is presented to the press.

In press photos his ear appears covered with bandage. There appears to be scars on his face.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
It's very long, so I just skimmed it.
Interesting highlights can be found by searching for "Gulen".

Thanks OM i skimmed it too, as well as the state dept link.

here's hoping things remain calm at Incirlik
the folks they arrested were their own
http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-turkey-coup-20160717-snap-story.html
Though the base reopened for air operations Sunday after a 24-hour closure, official media reported the arrest of the top Turkish military official at Incirlik, Gen. Bekir Ercan Van.

i guess our h-bombs are okay

Home > News > Article Display
Pentagon press secretary comments on situations in Turkey
By Peter Cook, Pentagon Press Secretary / Published July 17, 2016PRINT | E-MAIL

"After close coordination with our Turkish allies, they have reopened their airspace to military aircraft. As a result, counter-ISIL coalition air operations at all air bases in Turkey have resumed. U.S. facilities at Incirlik are still operating on internal power sources, but we hope to restore commercial power soon. Base operations have not been affected."

"don't take your guns to town, boy.. son." johnny cash
thanks OCR

old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
jim hardy said:

i guess our h-bombs are okay"don't take your guns to town, boy..." johnny cash

The US supposedly has nuclear weapons abroad in five countries. A coup prone Turkey should not be one of them IMO.

Likes EnumaElish
jim hardy said:
"don't take your guns to town, boy..." johnny cash

old jim
Aww heck old jim, don't mean to be picky here, but it's actually ... don't take your guns to town, son ... sorry.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:redface:

Likes jim hardy
On the day (or maybe the next day) the alleged coup leader was apprehended, newspapers published his "confession." A day later same "news sources" retracted it.

The alleged coup (once proven in court of law I guess) will have destroyed any chain-of-command responsibility emanating from the actions of the coup participants, for their higher-ups. Significantly, the government and the president. Anything nasty the coup participants may have done will have become the responsibilty of "rouge army units," not the rest of the army or any part of the establishment.

In other news, Turkey has declared a state of emergency for 3 months. AFAIK it can be renewed indefinitely. Simply put: fewer freedoms. Boosts executive powers, reduces judicial oversight. All residents have to carry an id card at all times and present it to authorities, who can now demand to see people's "papers" at random times and places. Police empowered to shoot on sight upon crowds, including demonstrations.

Alleged coup plotter Gen. Adem Huduti also rejects accusations.

Lawywers have refused to represent alleged plotters.

What kind of a rotten judicial system fails to assign lawyers to a defendant? I mean, lawyers are found to defend (alleged) serial killers, rapists, molesters; but not coup plotters?

EnumaElish said:
"rouge army units

Rouge army ? Do they suspect Redneck or Russian involvement?

Likes EnumaElish
jim hardy said:
Rouge army ? Do they suspect Redneck or Russian involvement?
You forgot Khmer Rouge.
From the context, I think it should have been "rogue".
Ironic misspelling, to say the least.

Likes EnumaElish
Wierd consequences of the coup attempt:

* After the coup attempt all armed forces were put under lockdown. The Kurdish separatist guerillas (the PKK, considered terrorists by Turkey) have reportedly had an almost free reign since then.

* Army units used to donate leftover food to animal shelters. With the lockdown in effect, they have not been able to do so. Apparently as a result, food supplies in some shelters have become critically low.

* Soldiers that had been discharged a few years ago on the basis of accusations of plotting a coup against the government (the so-called Sledgehammer case) are being given posts recently emptied by discharges of military personnel as part of the most recent alleged coup attempt.1
1Alleged plotters of the most recent coup (the so-called Gulenists) have been accused of manufacturing evidence against defendants in the previous alleged coup attempt. The attempted coup of a few days ago would not only sever the chain-of-command responsibility for criminal liability (if any) by the Turkish military; it would also sever the judicial/administrative chain of responsibility from potential accusations of prosecutorial malfeasance such as "manufactured evidence" in the previous coup cases. However, the attempted coup would not necessarily sever the chain of responsibility for possible criminal activities committed during Turkish government's fervent support of the Syrian rebels. Ridding of that responsibility might require an even grander scapegoat, and may include parts of the Turkish intelligence services and/or the Gazze Flotilla crowd. Stay tuned for a few years, folks.

Caveat emptor - any and all of my posts on this topic are pure and rank speculation.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
You forgot Khmer Rouge.
From the context, I think it should have been "rogue".
Ironic misspelling, to say the least.
Thanks for pointing it out.

It appears that the Putinisation of Turkey is now under way. . .

Dr Wu said:
It appears that the Putinisation of Turkey is now under way. . .
Tug-of-War or Chess?
if he can pull Turkey away from NATO i suppose it's a good chess move
I can understand Putin being nervous about NATO missile silos in the area, and our H-bombs
we didn't want theirs in Cuba, either
Russia's ambassador said just that to Charlie Rose a year or two ago, i happened to tune in and thought "He does have a point" .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Poland-ship-missiles-region-say-experts.html
The Russians could invade Poland 'overnight' and the US needs to do more to beef up Nato defences in the area and send more missiles to the region to deter Moscow.

A 25-page document by the US-based http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/images/publications/Arming_for_Deterrence_web_0719.pdf think thank says Nato needs to do more to 'counter a resurgent Russia'.
GrandChessboard.jpg

Anybody else have an opinion on this piece ? Not too long a read.
http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/images/publications/Arming_for_Deterrence_web_0719.pdf
THE THREAT FROM RUSSIA
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s regime does
not disguise its hostility toward the West and its
main institutions—NATO and the European Union
(EU). Western values such as democracy, pluralism,
transparency, human rights, freedoms, and the rule
of law are antithetical to a kleptocratic, authoritarian
regime. The Kremlin has, therefore, viewed with
undisguised alarm both recent “color revolutions”
in its neighborhood and the uprisings of the Arab
Spring.
Fearing that this is what is in store for Russia, the
Kremlin has accused the West of instigating or even
“weaponizing” those upheavals. Putin has set out to
aggressively delegitimize, discredit, and undermine
Western policies and institutions as well as the
entire post-Cold War norms-based security order.
For all intents and purposes, Moscow has declared
the West its chief enemy, as explicitly stated in
Russia’s revised National Security Strategy signed
late last year by President Vladimir Putin.
see last page, authors
Gen. Sir Richard Shirreff was NATO’s Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe from 2011 to 2014. He is a partner at Strategia Worldwide Ltd. He recently published
“2017: War with Russia.”

Maciej Olex-Szczytowski is an independent business adviser, specializing in Defense. In 2011-12 he was Special Economic Adviser to Poland’s Foreign Minister, Radoslaw Sikorski. Prior to this, he served as CEO of Poland’s Military Property Agency.

In related news:

US's top general denies report that ret. US general was involved in Turkey’s coup attempt http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=238&nID=102136&NewsCatID=358

Amnesty International reports on July 24 that alleged coup participants' human rights were being violated while in custody:
the sun said:
The spate of high profile suicides follows an Amnesty International report that 10,000 detained Turkish troops have been raped, starved and left without water for days.

The group claim that the detainees, who were imprisoned after the failed military coup, are being held in stables and sports halls.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14953...d-and-beaten-in-unofficial-detention-centres/

Then yesterday the pro-govt. Yeni Safak claims Amnesty Int. is "on the side of the coup" *because* it defended the rights of the [alleged] coup participants.

http://m.yenisafak.com/gundem/af-orgutu-darbe-safinda-2499535 (in Turkish)

The Wikipedia entry on YS is a must-read: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeni_Şafak

Last edited: