Coupled conductive-convective heat transfer using FDM

In summary, the conversation is about a transient problem involving both conduction and convection. The problem involves a thin plate being heated by two constant-temperature sources, one in contact with the plate and the other separated by air. The person is using Matlab to solve a pure conduction problem using the heat equation and a five point scheme, but is unsure how to incorporate convection into the problem when air velocity is given. They are seeking help with the corresponding equation and how to write it in FDM form.
angsu119
Now I need to solve a transient problem involving both conduction and convection.

Homework Statement

In this problem there's a thin plate being heated by two constant-temperature sources. One small source is in contact with part of the plate. Another one is separated with the plate by air.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using Matlab, and able to solve pure conduction problem. I use the heat equation a*dT/dt=delta2dT and five point scheme. But now significant convection is coupled into the problem when air velocity is given. I'm not sure what is the corresponding equation combining both conduction and convection, and how to write the FDM form. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my question not stated clearly?

I would recommend using the conservation of energy equation to combine both conduction and convection in your problem. This equation states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the sum of heat transfer and work done on the system. In this case, the internal energy change is due to both conduction and convection, so we can write it as:

ρc∂T/∂t = k∇^2T + ρc(∂T/∂t)conv

where ρ is the density, c is the specific heat, k is the thermal conductivity, and (∂T/∂t)conv is the convective heat transfer term.

To solve this using FDM, you can discretize the equation in both space and time using a similar approach as you did for the pure conduction problem. This will give you a set of equations that can be solved using an iterative method such as the five-point scheme you mentioned.

In terms of incorporating the air velocity, you can use the convective heat transfer coefficient (h) to calculate the convective heat transfer term as:

(∂T/∂t)conv = h(Ts - T)

where Ts is the temperature of the surrounding air and T is the temperature of the plate. The convective heat transfer coefficient can be calculated using empirical correlations or from experimental data.

I hope this helps you solve your transient problem involving coupled conductive-convective heat transfer using FDM. Good luck!

1. What is coupled conductive-convective heat transfer?

Coupled conductive-convective heat transfer refers to the simultaneous transfer of heat through both conduction and convection mechanisms. This occurs when there is a temperature difference between two adjacent mediums, such as a solid and a fluid, and heat is transferred from the higher temperature medium to the lower temperature medium.

2. What is FDM and how is it used in coupled conductive-convective heat transfer?

FDM stands for Finite Difference Method, which is a numerical method used to solve differential equations, such as those governing heat transfer. In coupled conductive-convective heat transfer, FDM is used to discretize the governing equations and solve for the temperature distribution in both the solid and fluid domains.

3. What are the benefits of using FDM in coupled conductive-convective heat transfer?

One of the main benefits of using FDM is its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also allows for efficient and accurate solutions to be obtained, making it a popular choice for simulating coupled conductive-convective heat transfer problems.

4. What are the limitations of using FDM in coupled conductive-convective heat transfer?

One limitation of FDM is that it requires a uniform grid in order to obtain accurate solutions. This can be challenging when dealing with irregular geometries or when there are large variations in temperature or heat flux. Additionally, FDM may not be suitable for problems with highly nonlinear or transient behavior.

5. How can FDM be validated for use in coupled conductive-convective heat transfer?

FDM can be validated by comparing the results obtained from the simulation to experimental data or analytical solutions, if available. This can help to ensure that the numerical solution is accurate and reliable. It is also important to carefully select appropriate boundary and initial conditions and to perform sensitivity analyses to assess the impact of various parameters on the results.