1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FDM for a 3 metal layers 3D, heat transfer

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    Dear members,

Some days ago, I received the following exercise but I have never studied thermodynamics before and I don't know very well where to start, the exercise is about Heat Transfer and the Finite Difference Method and I must program the solution using Petsc and C++.

About the Finite Difference Method (FDM) and the Laplace equation, I have used it before and I know how to implement it but I have few clues about this. I have read and watched many tutorials in YouTube about the topic but most of them are for one layer, 2D and different temperatures around it. Nevertheless, in this exercise, I have 3 different metals and it's in 3D.

I'd like to get some recommendations or tips about what I should do or where to read. Thanks for your valuable help, sorry because I don't have any equation or relevant information but my knowledge about this is minimal.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Get the heat transfer of the following figure using the Finite Difference Method and finally, implement it with Petsc and C++:
    Layer.png
    The ambient temperature is 0 degrees Celsius.

Thermal conductivity:
    • Aluminum : 205 W/mK
    • Copper: 385.0 W/mK
    • Iron: 79.5 W/mK
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/thrcn.html

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2
    The first step is to write the equations for the boundary conditions at the 3 junctions between the materials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted