Covariant Derivative Equivalence: Exploring an Intriguing Result

In summary: Are you sure it's correct?Yes, it is a standard notation used in tensor calculus and differential geometry to represent partial derivatives. The concept behind it is that the basis vectors ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}## are represented as partial derivatives, and when we add a small change ##\Delta x^\nu## to the coordinate ##x^\nu##, the basis vectors also change to ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu + \Delta x^\nu}##. This notation is used to simplify calculations and make them more compact. However, the validity and implications of this notation may vary depending on the context and specific equations being used.
kent davidge
If we are representing the basis vectors as partial derivatives, then ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu + \Delta x^\nu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu} + \Gamma^\sigma{}_{\mu \nu} \Delta x^\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\sigma}## to first order in ##\Delta x##, correct? But in the same manner we could write ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu + \Delta x^\nu} = \frac{\partial x^\kappa}{\partial x^\nu + \Delta x^\nu} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\kappa} \approx \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu}(x^\kappa - \Delta x^\kappa) \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\kappa}##.

But these two equalities seem to lead to a weird result, namely that if ##\Delta x## are not function of ##x## then the ##\Gamma## vanish. But I'm even not sure about the validity of the equality. Could someone shed some light on this?

(If someone is curious about why I'm asking this, it's just something that I was thinking about, out of curiosity.)

Physics news on Phys.org
What does that derivative with that Delta mean mathematically? Personally, I have no idea to be honest, so I can't help you.

haushofer said:
What does that derivative with that Delta mean mathematically? Personally, I have no idea to be honest, so I can't help you.
Well in the same way that ##\frac{d}{d g(x) + f(x)}##. Think of the ##\Delta x## just as a different symbol.

Where are you getting this notation from? It seems non-standard and it is unclear what you mean.

kent davidge said:
Well in the same way that ##\frac{d}{d g(x) + f(x)}##. Think of the ##\Delta x## just as a different symbol.
I've never seen such a notation.

Related to Covariant Derivative Equivalence: Exploring an Intriguing Result

1. What is covariant derivative equivalence?

Covariant derivative equivalence is a mathematical concept that states that two different formulations of a physical theory can be equivalent if they result in the same equations of motion.

2. Why is covariant derivative equivalence an intriguing result?

Covariant derivative equivalence challenges the traditional understanding of physical theories as being unique and fundamental. It suggests that different formulations can lead to the same predictions, opening up new possibilities for understanding the underlying principles of the universe.

3. What is the significance of covariant derivative equivalence in physics?

Covariant derivative equivalence has important implications for the unification of different physical theories. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical structures and symmetries that govern the behavior of physical systems.

4. How is covariant derivative equivalence related to the principle of least action?

Covariant derivative equivalence is closely related to the principle of least action, which states that the path a physical system takes is the one that minimizes the action. This principle can be expressed in different formulations, and covariant derivative equivalence shows that these formulations can be equivalent.

5. Can covariant derivative equivalence be applied to all physical theories?

While covariant derivative equivalence has been explored in a wide range of physical theories, its applicability to all theories is still an open question. Further research and analysis are needed to fully understand the scope and limitations of this intriguing result.