Covariant Derivative Homework: Solve ∇_c ({∂}_b X^a)

In summary, when taking the covariant derivative of a 2-index object with respect to two indices, the index in the partial differential operator should be treated as a 2-index tensor. This means that the covariant derivative is given by the second formula, where the index in the partial differential operator is treated as a 2-index tensor.
MattRob

Homework Statement

Take the Covariant Derivative

[itex]∇_{c} ({∂}_b X^a)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]∇_{c} (X^a) = ∂_c X^a + Γ_{bc}^a X^b[/itex]
[itex]∇_{c} (X^a_b) = ∂_c X^a_b + Γ_{dc}^a X^d_b - Γ^d_{bc} X^a_d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking straight at
[itex]∇_{c} ({∂}_b X^a)[/itex]
I'm seeing two indices. However, the b is nothing more than a reference to the derivative with respect to what, so I'm not sure whether this counts as a one or two-index object. Namely, do I solve it as

[itex]∇_{c} ({∂}_b X^a) = ∂_c {∂}_b X^a + Γ_{dc}^a {∂}_b X^d[/itex]

since the index in the partial differential operator isn't the same as an index on a tensor, or is it?

So I'm thinking since the indices merely indicate you're working with a variety of objects ([itex]x^a = k => x^1 = k, x^2 = k, x^3 = k, ...[/itex]), then the index on the differential operator should be treated the same, so I can treat [itex]{∂}_b X^a[/itex] as a two-index tensor [itex]T^a_b = {∂}_b X^a[/itex]

[itex]∇_{c} ({∂}_b X^a) = ∂_c {∂}_b X^a + Γ_{dc}^a {∂}_b X^d - Γ^d_{bc} {∂}_d X^a[/itex]

So is it the latter case, former, or something else entirely?

I suppose I have every reason to think it should be the latter case, but I guess I'm just uncertain and want some clarification.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat it as a 2-index object.

Likes MattRob
strangerep said:
Treat it as a 2-index object.
Second formula, then?

Thanks!

Related to Covariant Derivative Homework: Solve ∇_c ({∂}_b X^a)

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to calculate the rate of change of a vector field along a curved surface. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and ensures that the derivative is independent of the coordinate system used.

2. What does the notation ∇_c ({∂}_b X^a) mean?

This notation represents the covariant derivative of the vector field X^a with respect to the coordinate b and the tangent vector c. In simpler terms, it is the rate of change of X^a along the direction of c, taking into account the curvature of the surface.

3. How is the covariant derivative different from the ordinary derivative?

The ordinary derivative is calculated using the partial derivative operator (∂), which only considers changes in the coordinates. The covariant derivative, on the other hand, uses the covariant derivative operator (∇), which takes into account the curvature of the surface as well as changes in the coordinates.

4. How do you solve for the covariant derivative of a vector field?

To solve for the covariant derivative of a vector field, you first need to calculate the Christoffel symbols, which represent the curvature of the surface. Then, you can use the formula ∇_c ({∂}_b X^a) = {∂}_b X^a + Γ^a_{bc} X^c, where Γ^a_{bc} are the Christoffel symbols, to find the covariant derivative.

5. What are the applications of the covariant derivative in science?

The covariant derivative has applications in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to study the behavior of fields and particles in curved spaces, such as in general relativity. It is also used in computer graphics to model and animate objects moving on curved surfaces.