Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,608 replies · 202K views
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, "Manic Depression"



 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
The last giant of jazz. So far anyway.

You haven't lived until you've heard Senri Kawaguchi play Teen Town.
Did you know he played drums on Teen town as well? As well as writing the song which is completely bonkers in terms of structure, not just the bass.

Luckily I had been exposed to a lot of Jazz before I heard it so it was not completely alien but it was certainly semi alien!
Everything about the track just takes you to somewhere you have never been before.

It is based on 13ths googling then he adds the #11th towards the end as it obviously neds to get even more chromatic!

The snare is so low in the mix and there is no damping at all on the bass drum by the sounds of it.

He does a roll that slows down as he plays it, like someone was applying breaks.

I would have liked to have heard more of his drumming.

his mind worked differently a true genius the way he approached music.
 
pinball1970 said:
Did you know he played drums on Teen town as well? As well as writing the song which is completely bonkers in terms of structure, not just the bass.

Luckily I had been exposed to a lot of Jazz before I heard it so it was not completely alien but it was certainly semi alien!
Everything about the track just takes you to somewhere you have never been before.

It is based on 13ths googling then he adds the #11th towards the end as it obviously neds to get even more chromatic!

The snare is so low in the mix and there is no damping at all on the bass drum by the sounds of it.

He does a roll that slows down as he plays it, like someone was applying breaks.

I would have liked to have heard more of his drumming.

his mind worked differently a true genius the way he approached music.
He was originally a drummer. Then he took up bass. He learned very quickly. The other guy in the band (The Woodchucks) was left behind.

He also played piano pretty well. That's how he knows so much about harmony. I'd recommend any young bass player who aspires to be Best In The World to also do that. There's only so much you can do with a bass guitar. Verdine White, same thing.

Bobby Colomby of Blood Sweat and Tears said....
 


I'm pretty sure that junky keyboard is not producing that organ sound.
 
Hornbein said:


I'm pretty sure that junky keyboard is not producing that organ sound.

She looks a bit like George, doesn't she?
 
fresh_42 said:
She looks a bit like George, doesn't she?
A little bit. Needs a mustache though.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ocean_(Led_Zeppelin_song)

Led Zeppelin - The Ocean (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, 7/1973) [HD Remaster]




Young rockers playing "The Ocean"...​

( EllenPlaysBass ) Led Zeppelin - The Ocean (Cover) by Ellen, Yoyoka, Eva, Mateo.


( The Stickman ) Led Zeppelin - "The Ocean" (cover) Jam session with Larry S.
"John "the Stickman" Muggianu (9 yrs old) jams it up with his friend Larry S. "


(Scott Strunk) Harry Strunk Drum Cover of "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin
"7 Year Old Harry Strunk plays drums to "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin"


( Mia Morris ) Led Zeppelin - The Ocean / drum cover by Mia Morris / 10 years old


( Simone Lockhart ) Led Zeppelin - The Ocean 🌊
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
A little bit. Needs a mustache though.
I should not laugh really, she could have already been abusing substances to prevent weight gain making her facial features stand out.
A unique, unparalleled tone to her voice.
Not bad drummer either.
 
Hornbein said:
I'd say that Eddie does better without those other three guys cluttering it up.

His lead stuff is fun but he rules in backing guitar. And what do rock guitarists spend 90% of their time doing?



“Unchained” by Van Halen Cover by Moriah Formica
 
The Main Squeeze plays No Quarter

 
Hornbein said:
The Main Squeeze plays No Quarter


I like the playing but not keen on the singing style for this track.

Plus the bass drum has to be bigger! its Bonham!
 
Big Love - Lindsey Buckingham



Cover by Caroline Jones:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein and pinball1970
Orig

Search and Destroy



Cover

 

Norah Jones - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight​

 
robphy said:

Ann Wilson, wow, what a voice. I wore out my copy of Dream boat Annie.
I think it is rare to get that beauty and power at that level in one voice.
Paul McCartney and Ian Gillan had it too, in spades. Brilliant.
 
Frabjous said:
Alejandro Escovedo is known for his performance of I Wanna Be Your Dog


I knew the track but did not know what it was called
 

Manic Depression - Seal and Jeff Beck​


 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Norah Jones - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight​


Unbelievably beautiful voice. First time I heard "Don't know why" I was totally hooked.
Absolutely should have made efforts to see her live then. Too much going on.
I won't post the link here but I will put it on the music to lift my soul. A live version.
 
Last edited:
I didn't know Indians could lay down Rythym and Blues.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein and difalcojr
Take it away girl.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Hornbein
Probably mentioned this guy before. He goes round Cardiff filming buskers. Here is a cover of Neil Diamond.