Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,619 replies · 203K views
This song has some history, the song is about Salford but people tend to assume it is about a city in Ireland because it was covered by the Dubliners and the Pogues.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
The loving Spoonful did "Summer in the city" but this was a hit too. This performance is great. No backing, no Mike, no amp just his voice and an acoustic.

 
Zepparella -- The Lemon Song [Killing Floor]

 
robphy said:
Here are the kids [ 音太朗と音寧 - otatorock ; RoiLoiRo - twitter-RoiLoiRo ] from the Marty Friedman "Makenaide" video...

8才になった息子がイングヴェイを弾くようです [ 音太朗と音寧 ]
(Google translate: "My 8-year-old son seems to play Yngwie")

is a partial cover of Yngwie Malmsteen's "Trilogy Suite Op 5"


It seems he's learned to play parts of Yngwie Malmsteen's "Trilogy Suite Op 5" with a different technique

【超絶技巧】努!努!努力の7日間に密着【ドキュメント】by 三宅兄妹
(Google translate) [Superb technique] Tsutomu! Tsutomu! Close look at 7 days of effort [Document] by Miyake brother and sister

start @0m48 to 1m30
@18m00
 

Synchronicity 2 - The Police - Solo Acoustic Guitar (Kent Nishimura)​


 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr
Keith Richards and Jimmy Fallon
 
Here's a one-man cover of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One, originally by King Crimson. Extraordinary:

 
Here's a cover of a cover, which is probably better than either of the originals. Virtual ELP doing The Barbarian, originally by the real Emerson Lake & Palmer - which itself is an arrangement of Bela Bartok's piano piece Allegro Barbaro.

 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_in_the_Name
https://www.ratm.com/track/killing-in-the-name/
See also [Rock & Roll Hall of Fame] 2023 Inductee Insights: Rage Against The Machine
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inducts - RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In the Name (Official HD Video)

See also Rage Against the Machine - Live on BBC Radio + No.1 Announcement


(2020) Killing in the Name – Rage Against the Machine / Cover by Yoyoka & Yoyoka's mom (Yoyoka is 10 here.)
(2021 cover)
Her Drum cover: (2020) Killing in the Name – Rage Against the Machine / Cover by Yoyoka, 10 year old
See also her cover with a band of kids (ages: 9, 9, 15, and 12Yoyoka): [Yoyoka] Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name / Live Cover

[Voice of Baceprot] COVER RATM KILLING IN THE NAME OFF BY VOB DI WACKEN GERMANY 2022

See also VOB meets Tom Morello!

(2018) [audrey123talks] Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine - cover


(2020) Rage Against the Machine - Killing In the Name - Halocene Cover


(2017) Brass Against - Killing in the Name (Rage Against the Machine Cover) Ft. Sophia Urista
 
Last edited:
Go! Go! Maniac. Original by Ho Kago Tea Time Band.

Theme song of an anime that was popular about twelve years ago. Recorded by session men with almost superhuman skill. Supposedly the Ho Kago Tea Time Band learned to play like this in one year.



Girls decided that they wanted to do that too. They grew up with this goal so today there are a number of young women who can play with that almost superhuman skill.

Cover by Platina Jazz. They are Russians who live in Tokyo.



I can't resist this spectacular strumming. Someone found a use for the Fender Jazzmaster. It's about time

 
Last edited:

Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity (Violin Cover) by Unlucky Morpheus​




As far as rock violin goes Emilie Autumn was the queen, but she never covered anything.
 
Hornbein said:

Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity (Violin Cover) by Unlucky Morpheus​




As far as rock violin goes Emilie Autumn was the queen, but she never covered anything.

Here's a live version that's even better. Dang.

 
Hornbein said:
Original



Cover


I thought hanging on the Telephone was fantastic, pure Blondie and it's not the original!
As much as a shock as "Alone" Heart.
 
Cover of Taste of Honey's Boogie Oogie Oogie

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, difalcojr and Point Conception
The Jacksons Blame It On The Boogie by Rita Nishikawa.

The ebass solo is the high point for me.

 
Hornbein said:
The Jacksons Blame It On The Boogie by Rita Nishikawa.

The ebass solo is the high point for me.


Five string too. I am not keen on slap. I like the playing other than that though.
 
Iggy Pop covers Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus.

 
pinball1970 said:
[Sweet Child O' Mine Cover] goes right into the "better than original" category. Brilliant.
Seriously? I thought it was totally lame. :oldfrown:
 
strangerep said:
Seriously? I thought it was totally lame. :oldfrown:
Which number post was it? I will see what I put that comment. I know part of the reason without seeing it but need to listen to add the context.
 
pinball1970 said:
Which number post was it? I will see what I put that comment. I know part of the reason without seeing it but need to listen to add the context.
You can click on the "whoever said" in the title of a quote to jump to the quoted post.
 
strangerep said:
Seriously? I thought it was totally lame. :oldfrown:
First of all the sound is great, even the intro sounds nice.

Secondly, she is playing All the parts including the drums! Impressive?

Thirdly you get to hear it without Axels’s voice, not keen on it.

Knocking on Heavens door and Live and Let Die, were awful covers.
 
Last edited:
Buddy Guy ; Mary Had A LIttle Lamb

I didn't know he could sing that well.

 
Since I listened to a few covers, YouTube has been serving me up a steady diet. It seems I could spend the rest of my life listening to covers of King Crimson tracks alone. The number of covers of Starless is extraordinary. One group of what looked like college kids had even roped in the late John Wetton to sing the lyrics. There is everything from full-on prog-rock versions (although perhaps Starless is so prog it's not rock anymore), a zany avant garde version, a folk version played in the woods and a solo acoustic guitar version played in a cathedral.

It's extraordinary that young people are playing this music. How do they even know about this material? By the early 1990's I was ridiculed for still listening to 1970's prog rock. Perhaps it's ultimately the quality and originality of the music that has helped it survive. It shows that that with music perhaps you can't tell what will endure the test of time. I must admit I feel somewhat vindicated.

I always felt the 1980s were mostly style over substance and I never really understood the point of the music video. If the music is good enough, what is the need for a video? The best videos, for me, are just the band playing the music. I saw an interview with Keith Richards where he said something like this - that the eyes eventually dominate the ears.

Anyway, here's the latest cover of Starless. @pinball1970 I particularly like the percussion on this one (and the two guitars):

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
PeroK said:
It's extraordinary that young people are playing this music. How do they even know about this material? By the early 1990's I was ridiculed for still listening to 1970's prog rock.
On a related theme,... lately I've become a tad fascinated with reaction videos where young(er) people first watch a video of ) Deep Purple doing Child in Time, and other old classics. The look on their faces at the moment Ian Gillan lets it rip is priceless, and then even more when he goes up again to that high-A. :oldsurprised:

Pink Floyd at the Pulse concert doing Comfortably Numb also gets their attention.

(But sheesh, some of these youtubers/twitchers who do nothing but reaction videos are unbelievably duuuuuumb.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and BillTre