Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Norwegian Wood on an unusual instrument.

 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Norwegian Wood on an unusual instrument.


You just made my top twenty
 
Here is the original, County and Western genre.
 
This popped up in my suggested. I do not like Irish music, what I regard as Irish music but I like English folk music.
She describes her site as Irish music, either way her playing is sublime and singing as pretty as it gets.

 
This. Wow, check out her hybrid picking technique.

 
I assume this is the original. All I can say is this is what a musician sounds like.

 
Last edited:
That's not the original either. Lots of covers.

EDIT: It goes back to the 1800s.
 
Last edited:
This thread made me discover this Supremes cover:

Roy Rogers:


Supremes:


(First post -- sorry if my formatting is off)
 
pinball1970 said:
That's not the original either. Lots of covers.

EDIT: It goes back to the 1800s.
But Paul Brady is with few peers and that is one of his best.

Here is a cover that really imo "misses the mark" ( BD really is the closest to an (artistic) "Human God" that I have known in my limited existence )



(I think Dylan is a fan of Brady)
 
walrus_gumboot said:
This thread made me discover this Supremes cover:

Roy Rogers:


Supremes:


(First post -- sorry if my formatting is off)

First time I heard that song was here.

 
geordief said:
But Paul Brady is with few peers and that is one of his best.

Here is a cover that really imo "misses the mark" ( BD really is the closest to an (artistic) "Human God" that I have known in my limited existence )



(I think Dylan is a fan of Brady)

I only know "year of the cat" by Al Stewart. I was never a Dylan fan, not keen on his voice but I appreciate his writing. I like the odd track.
Same with Neil Young.
There are a couple of Dylan songs on here, "All along the watchtower" and "Mighty Quin."
 
He's good, if you dig 1950's crooner style.



The Roy Rogers version has a clarinet, possibly an alto. They don't make 'em the way they used to.
 
Way better than the orig. That's excellence in harmony singing.



The Fossils just keep getting grayer. That's how it goes. Doesn't hurt their play though. That's a big advantage musicians have over athletes.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: jack action and pinball1970
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Rest_You_Merry,_Gentlemen

Annie Lennox - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Annie Lennox God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Live)

Pentatonix - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Official Video)

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Pentatonix live SiriusXM 2023 Christmas interview

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/O Holy Night Meets Metal (w/ PelleK)


God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen · Ronnie James Dio · Tony Iommi · Rudy Sarzo · Simon Wright

My favourite Xmas song. Not listened yet but I have put a wow. Dio and Iommi!?
 
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Rest_You_Merry,_Gentlemen

Annie Lennox - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Pentatonix - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Officia


God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/O Holy Night Meets Metal
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen · Ronnie James Dio · Tony Iommi · Rudy Sarzo ·
The Lennox is amazing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
Last edited:
Shes Not There , instrumental cover
 
Last edited:
A very nice, dreamy cover of "Don't Fear The Reaper" by the Greek chillwave duo Keep Shelly In Athens... I like it because it's very different from the original, and very dreamy sounding:

Keep Shelly In Athens - Don't Fear The Reaper


I really like Keep Shelly In Athens, they have done some nice songs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
DennisN said:
A very nice, dreamy cover of "Don't Fear The Reaper" by the Greek chillwave duo Keep Shelly In Athens... I like it because it's very different from the original, and very dreamy sounding:

Keep Shelly In Athens - Don't Fear The Reaper


I really like Keep Shelly In Athens, they have done some nice songs.

Its very nice!
 
A cover of Kim Gun Mo's 1995 hit Wrongful Meeting. As far as I know this was one of the first big Kpop dance productions.

I think the ebass player is great. I like the explosion sound effects. All electric keyboards have them.



Today there are dozens of Kpop groups like this, but the industry has made music secondary. Today the dancing girls usually don't sing, they rap instead in a lame manner. Too bad.
 
I like Domi's playing but she's usually with a drummer I don't like. Here she is backing up an avaunt guard version of The Star Spangled Banner.
 
World's best ebass player.



Having the ebass strung backward seems like a big disadvantage but that don't stop him.