Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
robphy said:
#489

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Pigs

BLACK SABBATH - "War Pigs" (1970)

robphy said:
#1834

(2025) uKanDanZ - WAR PIGS (Official Music Video)

(1972) Van Halen Brothers cover Black Sabbath's War Pigs | 1972 rare Mammoth song ( The Tapes Archive )

- Van Halen Opened for Black Sabbath in 1978
(followup to Ozzy Reminisces About Van Halen & Randy Rhoads Rivalry)



(2007) Cake - War Pigs [fan-made video contest entry]

(2017) Black Sabbath "War Pigs" (Larkin Poe Cover) [search Larkin]


(2017) Dirty Revival - "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath LIVE at Waterfront Blues Fest


(2022) Puddles Pity Party - WAR PIGS (Black Sabbath Cover) [search Puddles]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
A Gibbo SG??
Hey Hendrix play'ed 'em in his bluer moods.
 
Last edited:
Orig Use Me



That singing is hard to match, but maybe it can be done.

 
Last edited:
The Vengaboys with their monster hit.



(In eastern Asia this dancing would be thought very sloppy.)

Take it away, Romanians.

 
Orig



Cover by Keith Richards and Nora Jones



Took him 60+ years with an example constantly before him to learn to sing like that. Well, whatever it takes. Better late than never, eh? Congratulations Mr. Richards. I hereby honor you with the title of True Artist. Once bestowed, this can never be rescinded.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
The Vengaboys with their monster hit.



(In eastern Asia this dancing would be thought very sloppy.)

Take it away, Romanians.


I didn't know that song, but when I read "Shalala Lala", I was thinking about Jersey Girl from Tom Waits, which is so extraordinary with the rich voice of Holly Cole. THIS is how you sing "Shalala lala":

​


Which I already shared a live version of in a previous post:
jack action said:
I love Holly Cole. Her voice just melts my heart every time. She made a lot of covers, here are a few of my favorites:

[...]

Original (Jersey girl):

​


Cover:

​


[...]
 
Orig Green Tambourine by the Lemon Pipers



Semi-cover by the Bangles. Many of their songs remind me of something prior. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I kind of like it. I'm sure it's deliberate. That Echoplex thing is a dead giveaway. There are also hints of Say You Love Me, Incense and Peppermint, Raspberry Beret.



I'm listening to the whole Bangles back catalog. I haven't done that for many, many moons. 50 years?
 
jack action said:
I didn't know that song, but when I read "Shalala Lala", I was thinking about Jersey Girl from Tom Waits, which is so extraordinary with the rich voice of Holly Cole. THIS is how you sing "Shalala lala":

​


Which I already shared a live version of in a previous post:


One man's shalala is another man's lala sha.

Reminds of Brenda Lee's Fever.
 
Here's another good Use Me courtesy Teddy Swims.

 


Mary N could never make it as a session man. It would be way too distracting.
 
Last edited:
Orig. Pretty nice.



After the Shakalabbits every other cover sounds wrong.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and jack action

The Dukes of September - Hey Nineteen (Live)​




Now dat's some groove son.
 
Orig



Cover. I like those two-beat measures you sometimes got in country music.

 
Parrot sings Here Comes The Sun.



Improvising melodically, on pitch and in rhythm. Can't beat that.
 
1969 cool.



1980s typical talentless garbage.

 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
The composer said (I quote by memory) that he loves all three of them. He has been lucky to have created a song that was sung differently by 3 artists, but all were very good.

I love that songwriter is diplomatic and appreciative. I think Cyndi Lauper and Roy Orbison are best... they both sound steamy and intense and desperate like maybe they really drove all night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Parrot sings Here Comes The Sun.



Improvising melodically, on pitch and in rhythm. Can't beat that.

The parrot hits the "little darlin" but holds the third and wacks a load of vibrato on that note, the owner notices this and smiles. Even extant, dinosaur descendants love the Beatles.
 
Orig



Recording very low budget. The drum part is primitive.

Cover by a family band from Atlanta. They are going to be touring eastern Europe (!).



I'm not wild about this cover but you can hear how good the ebass part is.

 
Hornbein said:
Orig



Recording very low budget. The drum part is primitive.

Cover by a family band from Atlanta. They are going to be touring eastern Europe (!).



I'm not wild about this cover but you can hear how good the ebass part is.


I adore that song. I like the band in the woods better than Atlanta, her voice is more similar.