Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Cover by a family band from Atlanta.
Great one!
Hornbein said:
I'm not wild about this cover
But, but, but ... it's made in Canada! I could almost taste the maple syrup!
 
jack action said:
Great one!
I like the way she's filled with anger and hate for having been bamboozled by lies, this having killed all her joy.
 
Orig of Tulsa Time



That seems pretty hard to equal. Here's a worthy effort.

 
Hornbein said:

Hornbein said:


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfortably_Numb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd

from #1442
COMFORTABLY NUMB (Pink Floyd) Band Cover by KNULP

( more KNULP , #973 )

solos - interpreted by these shredders
 
Last edited:
I like the ebass player.



They are from Hungary.

Here's again that Atlanta family.

 
Hornbein said:
Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs cover Linda Ronstadt's Different Drum. The highlight is Sweet's vocal harmony. His fashion sense needs work though.


Different Drum is actually a Michael Nesmith song. Even though Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys recorded it first, Nesmith did his own version on his solo album with the First National Band. Just sharing some trivia you may not know. 😉
 
Whitney Houston classic of course better.

Jeff Buckley - hallelujah

spring to mind.
 




I was living in Michigan in 1965. All of a sudden Mustangs were everywhere. It was phenomenal. Never saw anything like that again. The Fender guitar company came out with a Mustang bass and guitar.

Lee Iacocca's success with the Mustang made CEO Henry Ford II so jealous he hounded Lee out of the company.

Every year after that Ford made the Mustangs bigger, uglier, and more expensive until they sucked and no one would buy them anymore.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Point Conception


Now JJ plays Vegas. Man I'm getting old.


Not a patch on the orig but extra points for those costumes.

 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Eye_(song)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest



SteamRollers- Electric Eye Cover-Judas Priest


Judas Priest - Electric Eye cover - Vixen Vendetta


'The Hellion/Electric Eye' by Judas Priest (piano cover) - Catherine Fearns
(solo at &t=1m45s)


Judas Priest "The Hellion / Electric Eye" (acoustic) Ben Woods on Flamenco Guitar
(solo at &t=1m40s) ... the Hellion sounds a little like the theme from M*A*S*H


The Hellion-Electric Eye - JUDAS PRIEST (Violin cover) - Miquel Serrahima metal covers
(solo at &t=2m30s)


Violent Revenge - (The Hellion) Electric Eye - Judas Priest cover (Former singer, Caitlyn Thomas)



Honorable mention:
 
Last edited:
Masked singers from Thailand play I Hate Myself For Loving You. I think the drummer is great.

 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: jack action and pinball1970
Hornbein said:

That is so good it made me watch his hands closely for cheats. I E. He records two parts say, the mimes over the mix.
 
pinball1970 said:
That is so good it made me watch his hands closely for cheats. I E. He records two parts say, the mimes over the mix.
I'd swear there was an ebass in there. I don't think it's possible to get a guitar to sound like that naturally. I think he re-equalizes or triggers or something. But he does play those notes.
 
Hornbein said:
I'd swear there was an ebass in there. I don't think it's possible to get a guitar to sound like that naturally. I think he re-equalizes or triggers or something. But he does play those notes.
For me it was the Bass drum/heel of his hand. Very clean, so I will watch again and see if I hear a BD I did not see him play, or see a play I did not hear.
 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hall_of_the_Mountain_King (1875)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Grieg



(2017) Grieg: Peer Gynt "In the Hall of the Mountain King" / Elisey Mysin 6 years
(&t=1m30s)


(2006) Apocalyptica - Hall of the mountain king cover of Edward G.

(#489 War Pigs)

(2011) "Hall Of The Mountain King" Keith Medley and his 27-string Medley Guitar


(2021) Marcin Jakubek - In the Hall of the Mountain King Metal Version


(1995) Rainbow - Hall of The Mountain King 1995 Live Video ( [Ritchie Blackmore's] Rainbow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_Us_All )

"Edvard Grieg, lyrics by Night, arrangement by Blackmore"



(2015) Trans Siberian Orchestra hall of the mountain king


(1987) (&t=1m20s) Prelude to Madness - Savatage
1749318643664.webp
[and see the next post for Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King]


Inspector Gadget Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ABB-xymBc
 
Last edited: