Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,617 replies · 202K views
Original. This is a demo. The originally released version isn't that good.

Joni Mitchell. Edith and the Kingpin.



Cover

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Original : Crazy He Calls Me by Billie Holliday



Cover : Emilie Autumn

 
Hornbein said:
Original : Crazy He Calls Me by Billie Holliday



Cover : Emilie Autumn


That was strange
 
I ain't superstitious​

Original by Howlin' Wolf:

​


Covers:

By Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart:

​


By the guy who wrote it, Willie Dixon:


​

By Megadeth:

​
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Frabjous and robphy
Last edited:
Linda Ronstadt -- Crazy He Calls Me



I know of no other artist who improved so radically in the course of their career.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr


The version by the ten year old girl in the Yamaha Stagea competition is the best but I already posted that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
Hornbein said:
Linda Ronstadt -- Crazy He Calls Me
I know of no other artist who improved so radically in the course of their career.
I have to agree with you on that. I really liked her first folk, bluegrass and country song singing too.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(Main_Title)

John Williams & Wiener Philharmoniker – "Main Title" from "Star Wars: A New Hope"


robphy said:


Star Wars Main Theme - Single by Galactic Empire

see also Galactic Empire - Star Wars - The Imperial March

Star Wars Theme Medley BLUEGRASS cover by samuraiguitarist


Star Wars theme (acapella) by MayTree



 
Hornbein said:
Jon Anderson used to be such a good poet. Nowadays his lyrics are New Age lectures. This was the start of that.



Another Andrei Cerbu production. The guy's talented.

I always heard it as "owner of a '63 Dodge Dart."

Chris Squire's bass playing went from maximal there to minimal here. Why not.

It appears she now records under the name of Rockmina. Here covering Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name.

 
This song was a big hit in the UK in 1981 for Kim Wilde. Catchy. Fine singer and composer. I however the production on the orig is too cheesy for me. So here's a cover.


 
Today, I became aware of the 50-yr anniversary performances of various Mike Oldfield masterpieces, done in collaboration with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra(!) in 2022. I'm not sure if this counts as a "cover", but they sure deserve a mention. I'm still listening this version of Ommadawn Pt 1 and it's bringing me to tears...



Their rendition of Tubular Bells Pt 1 is pretty damn amazing too...

 
Green Day does Kim Wilde's Kids In America

 
The Wonders - That Thing You Do


Cover by Shakalabbits.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
This song was a big hit in the UK in 1981 for Kim Wilde. Catchy. Fine singer and composer. I however the production on the orig is too cheesy for me. So here's a cover.
  • (broken YouTube link to No Secrets cover?)

No Secrets - Kids In America - Live Kids Choice Awards 2002


Hornbein said:


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_in_America

(1981) Kim Wilde - Kids In America (Official Music Video)




(1981) Kaupungin lapset - Mona Carita


(1993) Nirvana - Kids in America (LIVE Sao Paulo Hollywood Rock 93)


(2007) Jonas Brothers - Kids of the Future


(2018) The Anchor | - Kids in America (Kim Wilde Cover) - metalcore
 
Last edited:
Two Tom Petty covers by the Jambaritos Band. The first is great while the second he sings awfully flat. Huh.



Notice that at this point he forgets the lyrics and mumbles something plausible. I've been told singers call this "watermeloning." I bet you didn't notice it first time around.

 
Original of Mercy Mercy by Don Covay. Guitar is allegedly Jimi Hendrix. Sounds just like him.



Cover by The Rolling Stones.

 
Orig Hoochie Couchie Man by Muddy Waters



Cover by Shoka Okuba. She also plays drums and does fashion modelling. Let's see Muddy do that.

 
Orig : Roger Miller -- King of The Road



Cover



His name really is Roger Miller.
 
Mikaela Davis harp solo on The Grateful Dead's The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)



If all their stuff were this good they could go places. It might happen.
 
Frabjous said:

That was stunning. I love the vocal versions I have heard by some of the most iconic voices in jazz but that was great. I like the fact they swapped solos and backing.
Frabulous!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous and BillTre

Madison Cunningham - In My Life (The Beatles Cover)​

 
Orig Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. Grotesque video.



Black Hole Sun on a cross strung harp. They say the harp is the most beautiful instrument. They were right.

 
Hornbein said:

Madison Cunningham - In My Life (The Beatles Cover)​


Wrong note at 2.20!

She powered on through though.

I learned it on piano and could never get the solo right, I would always hit a duff note without the trills in.

Really nice harmony on that version.

In My Life is Rubber Soul and for me the Beatles did not really kick in till Revolver.

McCartney says he sees those two albums together, I disagree (what does he know)

Some great songs on there but Revolver goes a step higher for me and Pepper came after which is another planet.

Anyway..
 
Kirsty MacColl - They Don't Know



Cover by Susannah Hoffs

 
Orig Ripple by The Grateful Dead



Cover. The pedal steel guitar solo is out of this world.

 

No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed -- Richie Havens​




Cover by Yes