Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Original version
 
Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsta's_Paradise (1995)

Coolio ft. L.V. & Stevie Wonder! "Gangsta's Paradise" Live! [Billboard Awards 1995]
&t=44s




(2023) “Gangsta’s Paradise” - Coolio - ukulele cover [ Patsy Walker ]


(2017) Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio (Kina Grannis Cover)


(2013) Acoustic Cover Of Gangsta's Paradise - Video [ James Morrison ]


(2019) GANGSTA´S PARADISE (Coolio/Stevie Wonder) - Luca Stricagnoli - Fingerstyle Guitar Cover Arrangement


(2022) BASSta's Paradise (Official Video) [ Davie504 ]



Honorable mention:
"Weird" Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise (Parody of "Gangsta's Paradise" - Official HD Video)
[Coolio] Coolio and weird Al - Gangsta's Paradise
Weird Al and Coolio

Gangsta's Paradise in the style of Ozzy Osbourne

Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio / Harp Cover [Orlando Harpist Christine MacPhail - Wedding Harp Music]
 

Imelda May - Tainted Love​


 
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Hornbein and symbolipoint
If you like The Lady Shelters I bet you would like Superfly. They were a sensation in Japan about 15 years ago. Singer Shiho Oshi performed with Big Brother and the Holding Company at the more recent Woodstock festival. How much more cred do you need?

Piece Of My Heart.

Their original stuff is easy to find. The guitar player quit long ago. Today Shiho is still a big star who fills arenas under the name of Superfly but it doesn't rock like he used to.

This isn't a cover but it clearly draws from The Rolling Stones' Start Me Up.


But the original Emma Franklin Piece Of My Heart roolz.

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Point Conception
Cover of Dolly Parton and Chet Atkins - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, by Allison Young and Josh Turner

 
Brothers Igniting A Groove - cover of Skin Tight (it was cold that night).

 
Last edited:
Josh Turner and friends - live studio cover of Late In The Evening

 
Hornbein said:

That's one of my absolute favorite songs! I've always loved it.

robphy said:
"Weird" Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise (Parody of "Gangsta's Paradise" - Official HD Video)
That version is hilarious! :oldlaugh:

I also love his version of Smells Like Teen Spirit:
(and it's about the nonsensical lyrics of the song, and both when the cow moos and when Yankovic gargles in the solo I find myself on the floor rolling with laughter :biggrin:)




By the way, regarding "Weird" Al Yankovic I saw a recent video on the youtube channel Professor of Rock about the few artists who didn't allow Yankovic to spoof their songs. Furthermore, the youtuber Professor of Rock has talked to Yankovic about doing an interview, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, he has managed to get interviews with quite famous musicians before, e.g. Toto*.

* Edit: For instance this interview about the song "Rosanna" and this interview about the song "Africa".
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jack action and BillTre
robphy said:
"Weird" Al Yankovic

DennisN said:

Oh, by the way, Weezer made a cover of "Africa" where "Weird" Al Yankovic played the frontman.
Small world :smile:.

Weezer - Africa (starring Weird Al Yankovic)



Of course I prefer the original but the cover isn't bad at all. It's quite similar but rougher in the chorus.
 
morrobay said:


Here's the orig. I'd forgotten this song. By Andy Williams.

 
morrobay said:

This is the original though right?
 
pinball1970 said:
This is the original though right?
I guess same title different songs
 
morrobay said:
I guess same title different songs

Yes the songs are quite different ;)

The video is great though. I particularly liked the Adams family clip.
 
morrobay said:

Red Spandex outfit was never going to end well! Started out ok, she is playing a Ricky which is always cool.
Three cool dudes at the back however.....roller skater fella just killed me! That was a thing in the 70s, roller disco!
Wonderfully awful :)
 
pinball1970 said:
Red Spandex outfit was never going to end well! Started out ok, she is playing a Ricky which is always cool.
Three cool dudes at the back however.....roller skater fella just killed me! That was a thing in the 70s, roller disco!
Wonderfully awful :)
That and cocaine.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and pinball1970
Hornbein said:


That's mastery.

Pure jazz to my ears. Chords are great, crunchy!
 
This lady does some great (mainly)
rock covers.

 
pinball1970 said:
Pure jazz to my ears. Chords are great, crunchy!
I have read a quote by Lou Reed - presumably since it was without a reference as always nowadays on the internet - in the context of people complaining about the few chords Quo normally uses:

"One chord is enough. Two chords are borderline, and three chords are jazz."​
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
"One chord is enough. Two chords are borderline, and three chords are jazz."
And 20 odd chords is Yes!

If it's minimal it really has to have something unique, special.

Never a fan of velvet underground. Give me prog rock, rock, good pop, jazz and Bach!
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
I have read a quote by Lou Reed - presumably since it was without a reference as always nowadays on the internet - in the context of people complaining about the few chords Quo normally uses:

"One chord is enough. Two chords are borderline, and three chords are jazz."​
That is a hilarious quote! :oldlaugh:

I like some Velvet Underground songs, but I'm not a die-hard fan. They were a bit too lo-fi for my taste,
but I can understand their appeal.
 
"The jazzman plays a thousand chords for three people. The rock band plays three chords for a thousand people."