Cox & Forshaw: "Why E=mc^2" - A Newbie's Question

• B
  • Thread starter Ste7e
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary: The book is: Cox and Forshaw: Why E=mc^2 (and why we should care)Thanks for pointing this out - just edited the original post to be clearer.
Ste7e
Hi All

My first post here and I'm sure it's going to be one of the easiest for you to answer.

I've just read Einstein's book on the theory of relativity and now I'm currently reading 'Why does e=mc2 (and why should we care)' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

My Math isn't up to much but I have a inquisitive mind... I'm stumped by something rather basic and early on in this book.

On page 51/52(ish) - not 100% sure as I'm reading the Kindle version - there's the first bit of maths which seems to be getting to the Lorentz transformations starting from good old Pythagoras.

The authors get us to T2 = 1/ (c2—υ2) which is all good.

But then we get this:

Taking the square root of our equation above for T2, and multiplying by 2, we find that 2T= 2/√c2υv2

I'm baffled by where the 'v' has come from. I thought it was a problem with the Kindle fonts first of all - the 'u' is printed in italics and the 'v' not, wasn't sure if they were the same thing - but I found a PDF of the book and it's the same in there.

Can someone walk me through this?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ste7e said:
On page 51/52(ish)
Of what? :smile:
[added] Oh, never mind... it's the book named in the title of your post. :oops: Carry on... Unfortunately I've never seen that book. However, I don't recognize the equation you ended up with.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I put the title of the book as the thread name and then referred to it in the body as 'this book'.

The book is: Cox and Forshaw: Why E=mc^2 (and why we should care)

Thanks for pointing this out - just edited the original post to be clearer.

Steve

Ste7e said:
Hi All

My first post here and I'm sure it's going to be one of the easiest for you to answer.

I've just read Einstein's book on the theory of relativity and now I'm currently reading 'Why does e=mc2 (and why should we care)' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

My Math isn't up to much but I have a inquisitive mind... I'm stumped by something rather basic and early on in this book.

On page 51/52(ish) - not 100% sure as I'm reading the Kindle version - there's the first bit of maths which seems to be getting to the Lorentz transformations starting from good old Pythagoras.

The authors get us to T2 = 1/ (c2—υ2) which is all good.

But then we get this:

Taking the square root of our equation above for T2, and multiplying by 2, we find that 2T= 2/√c2υv2

I'm baffled by where the 'v' has come from. I thought it was a problem with the Kindle fonts first of all - the 'u' is printed in italics and the 'v' not, wasn't sure if they were the same thing - but I found a PDF of the book and it's the same in there.

Can someone walk me through this?

Thanks

Steve
Could you post verbatim what they said? I'd like to be able to derive it myself but I don't know the context.

I'll try copying and pasting from the PDF. It's a discussion about the light-clock thought experiment...

If the train is moving at a speed, υ, then the clock moves a distance υT each half-tick.
Again we did nothing except use “distance = speed x time.” This distance
is the length of the base of a right-angled triangle and because we know the length of the longest side,
we can go ahead and figure out the distance between the two mirrors using Pythagoras’ theorem. But
we know what that distance actually is already—it is 1 meter. So Pythagoras’ theorem tells us that
(cT)2= 12+ (υT)2.

We are nearly done now. We know c, the speed of light, and let’s presume to know the speed of the
train, υ. Then we can use this equation to figure out T. The crudest way to do it would be to guess a
value of Tand see if it solves the equation. More often than not the guess will be wrong and we’ll
need to try another guess. After a while we might hone in on the right answer. Fortunately, we can
avoid that tedious process because the equation can be “solved.” The answer is T2= 1/ (c2—υ2),
which means, “first work out c2—υ2 and then divide 1 by that number.”

..., we can now write the time taken for one tick of the clock as
determined by someone on the platform: It is the time for light to travel up to the top mirror and back
down again—that is 2T. Taking the square root of our equation above for T2, and multiplying by 2, we
find that 2T= 2/√c2υv2 This equation allows us to work out the time taken for one tick as measured
by the person on the platform, knowing the speed of the train, the speed of light, and the distance
between the two mirrors (1 meter). But the time for one tick according to someone sitting on the train
next to the clock is simply equal to 2/c, because for them the light simply travels 2 meters at a speed
c (distance = speed x time, so time = distance / speed). Taking the ratio of these two time intervals tells
us by how much the clock on the train is running slow, as measured by someone on the platform; it is
running slow by a factor of c/√c2υv2, which can also be written, with a little more mathematical
rearranging, as 1/ √1 - v2υc2. This is a very important quantity in relativity theory, and it is usually
represented by the Greek letter γ, pronounced “gamma.” Notice that γ is always larger than 1 as long
as the clock is flying along at less than the speed of light, because υ/c will be smaller than 1. When υ
is very small compared to the speed of light (i.e., for most ordinary speeds, since in units more
familiar to motorists the speed of light is 671 million miles per hour), γ is very close to 1 indeed. Only when
υ becomes a significant fraction of the speed of light does γ start to deviate appreciably
from 1.

I can't make any sense of that. But what the answer is supposed to be is:

[itex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/itex] where [itex]v[/itex] is the speed of the clock, and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light.

Likes yong and Ste7e
Looks like a simple misprint.

It is a misprint. It should look like
cox.jpg

Likes Ste7e
That's great. Thanks everyone. I got to the same result with my remembered algebra from eons ago but didn't have enough confidence in that to assume it was a misprint. It's been bothering me too much to go further into the book until I'd got to the bottom of it. I can now carry on :)

Steve

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the significance of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is one of the most famous and influential equations in physics. It describes the relationship between mass (m) and energy (E), stating that energy is equal to the mass multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2). This equation revolutionized our understanding of the universe and led to breakthroughs in nuclear physics, space exploration, and technology.

2. Who developed the equation E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity in 1905. It was later refined by Einstein and other scientists, including Max Planck and Niels Bohr.

3. How is the equation E=mc^2 used in everyday life?

Although E=mc^2 is a fundamental equation in physics, it has practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in nuclear power plants to convert small amounts of mass into large amounts of energy. It also plays a role in medical imaging technologies, such as PET scans, which use the conversion of mass to energy to create images of the body's internal structures.

4. Is E=mc^2 always true?

Yes, E=mc^2 is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. However, it is important to note that it only applies to objects moving at a constant speed of light, which is not possible for massive objects like humans or everyday objects.

5. Can E=mc^2 be derived from other equations?

Yes, E=mc^2 can be derived from other equations, such as the Lorentz transformation in special relativity. It can also be derived from the more general theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity. However, E=mc^2 is considered a fundamental equation and cannot be derived from simpler equations.