Create-a-band from members of other bands

• Thread starter one_raven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, the conversation revolved around creating the ultimate dream band, with members being chosen based on individual preferences and talent. The band would consist of various musicians from different genres, including guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Dimebag Darrell, vocalists like Maynard and Serj Tankian, and bassists like Flea and Sting. Some also suggested including members from classic rock bands like The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, while others brought up the challenge of meshing different styles and philosophies to create a successful band. The conversation also touched on the possibility of mixing unusual genres like jazz, classical, and rap.
one_raven
I was thinking about this on the way to work today.
Who would be in your ultimate band?
For me, the answers would change from mood to mood...
Here's my current mood:

Guitar: Ani and Prince.
Piano: Tori and Thelonius.(I think that such opposing styles and philosophies would complement each other).
Drums: Gene Krupa. If the people have to be alive, I think I would say the drummer from Green Day, maybe (can't think of his name right now).
Bass: Bass would be a tough call... Paul D'amour? Maybe Justin Chancellor? Flea? John Entwistle? I think my choice would most likely be Les Claypool (that man is ****ing unreal on a bass).
Sitar: Ravi Shankar (no question, he has no peers)
Cello: Yo Yo Ma
Vocals: Probably Maynard (with complementary vocals by Layne Staley & Chris Cornell, and background vocals by just about everyone in the band)

The writing of the music would have to be a full collaborative effort, but Maynard would drive the lyrics with a lot of input from Ani.

Adam Jones would have to do all the cover art (sorry, Ani, I know you won the Grammy and all, but Adam has to drive this) and direct ALL the videos.

And, of course, the band would have to be promoted by Don King!
:wink:

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drummer from Greenday's name is Tres Cool i think...

hmmm for me...

Vocals: Bruce Dickinson...but after i saw A Perfect Circle live the other day i would have to say that Bruce and Maynard can sing together. But if i had to choose one it would be Bruce.

Bass: Ooh, a hard one...but i would have to say Duff McKagan..as long as he gets Steve Harris' song writing abilities.

Saxophone/Harmonica: Michael Monroe

Guitar:I would be greedy and have 3 guitarists. Andy McCoy, Slash and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Piano:..Elton John.

Drums: Animal from The Muppets Show.

lol big band but who cares... Song writing to come from Andy McCoy, Bruce and Elton mainly, but others can chip in.

Putting a lot of high talent together does not always give a good result. The philosophies and styles have to mesh (they don't have to be the same, thye just have to be able to come to decisions) or else you get power struggles.

Guitar - David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) and Eric Clapton (Clapton doing rythym and vocals then doijg guitar duel solos with Gilmore) AC/DC's guitarist playing strickly rythym.

Bass - Sting (sharing vocals)

Drums - Cream's drummer Ginger Baker (?)

Song writing, Sting for lyrics and Clapton, Gilmore and Sting writing the music.

Sorry, I have to split between a classic rock group and a more modern one for this.

old guys

Guitar 1: Jimi Hendrix
Guitar 2: Neil Young
Bass: Roger Waters
Drums: John Bonham
Keyboard: Ray Manzarek
Lyrics/vocals: Jimi and Waters

----------

new guys

Guitar 1: Nick McCabe
Guitar 2: Jonny Greenwood
Bass: Flea
Drums: Jimmy Chamberlain
Keyboard: John Medeski
Lyrics/vocals: Richard Ashcroft and Ian Brown

Rhythm guitar 1: Dimebag Darrel

Rhythm guitar 2: ME!

Lead Guitar: Zakk Wylde

Drums: Lars Ulrich (I think he is a jerk, but he is talented...)

Bass: Billy Sheehan

Vocals: Serj Tankian and the chick from Lacuna Coil

I'd go for a whole lotta soul.

Vocals: David Ruffin
Lead Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Rhythm Guitar: Steve Cropper
Keyboards/Vocals: Steve Winwood
Sax: Maceo Parker
Bass: James Jamerson
Drums: John Bonham

I don't know. The best bassist and drummer I've heard (Tom Fowler and Bill Bruford) do fusion. The best guitar players I've heard (Hendrix and Clapton) do R&B. You can mix rock with jazz, or rock with blues, but you can't mix all three. My dream band would not get along, and break up before the first album was cut. Not to mention the singer I'd pick is Art Garfunkel, and he wouldn't fit with either pair.

Njorl

Originally posted by Artman
Putting a lot of high talent together does not always give a good result.

Thats not what he asked! i would have included Keith Richards and Mick Jagger...however it would only have been right to include the rest of the Stones...

Originally posted by Njorl
You can mix rock with jazz, or rock with blues, but you can't mix all three. My dream band would not get along, and break up before the first album was cut.

Wait until you mix something really strange, like a mixture of jazz, classical, and let's say rap. That would definately be the strangest sounding band ever to exist.

Originally posted by motai
Wait until you mix something really strange, like a mixture of jazz, classical, and let's say rap. That would definately be the strangest sounding band ever to exist.

You would have http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/artists/falco.htm
Anyone remember that?

Keys- Herbie Hancock
Saxophone- Sonny Rollins/Charlie Parker
Trumpet- Armstrong
Drummer- Rich Stitzel
Bass- Flea

This is jazz, of course...

Hah, I was about to start cussing for the blasphemy of no one mentioning Dime Bag. Everyone stop now and thank Zero.

I can't decide on something like this. All it takes is dime bag, and the rest of the talent will follow.

I guess we'd end up with another pantera though.

Is the world big enough?

1. How do you choose which members from different bands to include in the new band?

The process of choosing members for a new band from existing bands can vary. Some bands may have a specific sound or style that they want to maintain, so they may choose members from bands with similar styles. Others may want to create a completely new sound, so they may choose members from diverse musical backgrounds. Ultimately, it depends on the goals and vision of the new band.

2. Do the members have to leave their current bands to join the new band?

Not necessarily. Some members may choose to leave their current bands to fully commit to the new band, while others may be able to balance both projects. It's important to have open communication and make sure all members are on the same page about their commitments to the new band and their current bands.

3. How do you ensure that the new band has a cohesive sound and style?

This is where good communication and collaboration between the members is key. It's important for each member to bring their own unique style and influences, but also be open to trying new things and finding a common ground. Regular band practices and writing sessions can help develop a cohesive sound and style.

4. Can members from very different genres or backgrounds successfully come together to create a band?

Absolutely! In fact, having members from diverse musical backgrounds can often lead to an interesting and unique sound. As long as there is a shared passion for music and a willingness to collaborate, there's no reason why members from different genres or backgrounds can't successfully come together to create a band.

5. How do you handle potential conflicts between members from different bands?

Conflicts are a natural part of any group dynamic, but it's important for all members to approach them with open communication and respect. It's also helpful to establish clear roles and responsibilities within the band to avoid any misunderstandings. And if conflicts do arise, it's important to address them promptly and find a resolution that works for everyone involved.

Back