Create a Series of USB Buttons for Easy Computer Access: A DIY Guide

• Thread starter jlovett01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Usb
In summary, creating a series of USB buttons for easy computer access is a do-it-yourself project that involves connecting a microcontroller board, buttons, and wires to a USB hub. This allows for customized and convenient access to commonly used computer functions, such as opening specific programs or performing tasks. The process requires some basic knowledge of electronics and programming, but with the right materials and instructions, anyone can create their own personalized set of USB buttons for easier computer navigation.
jlovett01
I need to make a series of buttons which plug into a USB port. Something like this http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Easy-Button/ , only with a series of buttons. Each button is to serve the same purpose, so the computer doesn't need to know which button in the series is being pressed.

In the end it should look something like a strand of christmas tree lights, only with buttons instead of lights and a usb plug at the end.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy something like this? The buttons should also be small, about the size of a quarter and 1/4-1/2" thick.

Any help is appreciated greatly

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm. Why do you need the USB port? To activate something on your computer, or just to power the buttons? What are the buttons doing, exactly?

Do you mean something like this? http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=EG2553-ND

Wetmelon said:
Hmm. Why do you need the USB port? To activate something on your computer, or just to power the buttons? What are the buttons doing, exactly?

Do you mean something like this? http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=EG2553-ND

I need the USB to activate something on a computer. Basically it would be a string of ~10 buttons, each button would achieve the same result as far as the computer's concerned.

That button in the link looks great. Does it connect to a USB port?

mgb_phys said:
You need a computer on the button end of the USB cable (the article links to http://www.u-hid.com/home/index.php which is a bit expensive)
Or if you want to do some programming you could build an arduino http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Pushbutton

Or if you only need 3 buttons it would be cheaper to dismantle a use mouse.

Anduino looks interesting. Can this be purchased as shown in the picture or does it have to be built? Also I'm not sure if this would connect to a usb port...

I've thought about dismantling something. Mouse buttons would be the perfect sensitivity, but I need more than 3 buttons.

You can buy an arduino ready built or buy the parts and solder it yourself.
The design is open source and so there are 100s of Arduino clones, some faster, some cheaper, with more or less features.
The arduino comes with a USB socket - which you use to download the programs into it. You can also send data through this link.

There are also USB data aquisition products that will give you 16-48-68 etc i/o pins onto a usb connection but they aren't cheap.

mgb_phys said:
You can buy an arduino ready built or buy the parts and solder it yourself.
The design is open source and so there are 100s of Arduino clones, some faster, some cheaper, with more or less features.
The arduino comes with a USB socket - which you use to download the programs into it. You can also send data through this link.

There are also USB data aquisition products that will give you 16-48-68 etc i/o pins onto a usb connection but they aren't cheap.

An Anduin ready built with a usb socket would solve my problem nicely. Is there a phrase I can put into google to find one of these ready builts? The phrase "anduino ready built" only turns up this thread... (which was created only an hour ago... google is scary.)

So what exactly does Arduino do? Is this definitely the simplest solution to my problem?

jlovett01 said:
So what exactly does Arduino do? Is this definitely the simplest solution to my problem?

Simplest solution is to buy a USB i/o unit from a data capture card maker (like the thing in the link) but that's pricey - especially if you aren't in the US.

Start at arduino.org, or freeduino.org - depends where you are there might be local amatuer robotics groups that use it

mgb_phys said:
Simplest solution is to buy a USB i/o unit from a data capture card maker (like the thing in the link) but that's pricey - especially if you aren't in the US.

Start at arduino.org, or freeduino.org - depends where you are there might be local amatuer robotics groups that use it

Something like this? http://www.kadtronix.com/digio.htm

Would I need to attach anything to it?

Related to Create a Series of USB Buttons for Easy Computer Access: A DIY Guide

1. What is a series of USB buttons?

A series of USB buttons is a set of small, electronic buttons that can be connected to a computer or other device via a USB cable. These buttons can be programmed to perform various functions, such as opening a specific program or executing a keyboard shortcut.

2. What are the benefits of using a series of USB buttons?

Using a series of USB buttons can increase productivity and efficiency by allowing users to quickly and easily access frequently used functions or commands. They can also be helpful for individuals with disabilities or limited mobility.

3. How do I set up and install a series of USB buttons?

The process of setting up and installing a series of USB buttons may vary depending on the specific brand and model. However, it typically involves plugging the buttons into a USB port on your computer and installing any necessary software or drivers. Consult the manufacturer's instructions for specific steps.

4. Can a series of USB buttons be used with any device?

In most cases, a series of USB buttons can be used with any device that has a USB port. However, some buttons may be designed specifically for certain operating systems or programs, so it's important to check compatibility before purchasing.

5. Are there any limitations to what a series of USB buttons can do?

The limitations of a series of USB buttons will depend on the specific product and its capabilities. Some buttons may have limited programmable functions, while others may have a wide range of options. Additionally, the functionality may be limited by the device or program it is being used with.