Creating a 4D System with a Specific Solution: How Can It Be Done?

• MHB
  • Thread starter sawdee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4d System
In summary, the conversation discussed how to create a 4-d system with a given solution and the best approach to solving it. It was concluded that the simplest solution would be to pick a system with the given solution as the values for the variables. This could be represented in matrix form using the identity matrix with the solution as the right-hand values.
sawdee
I know how to solve systems, but the question asks to work backwards.

"Create a 4-d system that has a solution (-2,5,-6,1)."

How would i do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sawdee said:
I know how to solve systems, but the question asks to work backwards.

"Create a 4-d system that has a solution (-2,5,-6,1)."

How would i do this?

Hi sawdee! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Without any other conditions, we can go for the simplest system that satisfies your requirement.
We can pick the system:
\begin{cases}
x_1=-2 \\
x_2 = 5 \\
x_3 = -6 \\
x_4 = 1
\end{cases}
No point in making it more complicated unless there are more restrictions.
We're talking about math - the simplest solution possible should be considered the best one.

I like Serena said:
Hi sawdee! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Without any other conditions, we can go for the simplest system that satisfies your requirement.
We can pick the system:
\begin{cases}
x_1=-2 \\
x_2 = 5 \\
x_3 = -6 \\
x_4 = 1
\end{cases}
No point in making it more complicated unless there are more restrictions.
We're talking about math - the simplest solution possible should be considered the best one.

Thank you! :) Happy to be here.

I picked that solution as well, but in terms of format I'm not sure how to set up the answer. Should I use a matrix with those 4 as my x values, and leave everything else as 0?

sawdee said:
Thank you! :) Happy to be here.

I picked that solution as well, but in terms of format I'm not sure how to set up the answer. Should I use a matrix with those 4 as my x values, and leave everything else as 0?

It depends a bit on what your teacher considers to be a "system".
If it's supposed to involve a matrix, we can pick the identity matrix with right hand values that correspond to the solution.
That is:
$$\begin{bmatrix}
1&0&0&0\\
0&1&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
0&0&0&1\\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3 \\
x_4
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
-2 \\
5 \\
-6 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$
It's really just the same thing as the "system" I suggested though.
The only difference being what we pick as the notation.

I like Serena said:
It depends a bit on what your teacher considers to be a "system".
If it's supposed to involve a matrix, we can pick the identity matrix with right hand values that correspond to the solution.
That is:
$$\begin{bmatrix}
1&0&0&0\\
0&1&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
0&0&0&1\\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3 \\
x_4
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
-2 \\
5 \\
-6 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$
It's really just the same thing as the "system" I suggested though.
The only difference being what we pick as the notation.
I think this is exactly what he wanted, thank you!

1. What is a 4D system?

A 4D system is a four-dimensional system that includes time as a fourth dimension in addition to the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height). It is often used in scientific studies and simulations to better understand complex phenomena.

2. How do you come up with a 4D system?

The process of coming up with a 4D system involves identifying the variables that affect the system and their relationships, determining the appropriate units for each dimension, and accounting for the element of time in the system. This can be achieved through mathematical modeling and simulation techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using a 4D system?

Using a 4D system allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a system's behavior and evolution over time. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of complex processes and phenomena, leading to advancements in various fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.

4. Are there any challenges in implementing a 4D system?

One of the main challenges in implementing a 4D system is collecting and analyzing data in four dimensions. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, requiring advanced technology and software. Another challenge is accurately representing and visualizing the data in a way that is understandable and meaningful.

5. How is a 4D system used in scientific research?

A 4D system is often used in scientific research to study and analyze complex systems and phenomena. It allows scientists to simulate and predict the behavior of these systems over time, providing insights and advancements in various fields such as climate science, epidemiology, and astrophysics.