Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a signal amplifier using circuits

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    Let's say I lived in a big house, and in my big house I had a wifi connection that was fairly weak. So weak, that inside of my room I would only receive one bar of signal. How would I design a circuit that would catch the wifi signal, amplify that signal, and rebroadcast it inside of my room?

This is a problem I just thought up in my head and I was wondering if something like this is even possible?

If it is possible, what specifications are needed to design the circuit?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    So you want to receive the WiFi signal, amplify it and retransmit it on the same frequency? Have you ever put a microphone in front of a speaker and turned on the amp?

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    Yep, not easy. The "easier" way if you can call it is to increase the transmitting power. That you can put a blind amp on the transmitter side to increase the signal to the antenna. But again it is still not easy.

The easies way is buy a new one.

5. May 8, 2012 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

If the connection is between a computer and a router, sometimes the best way is to just use a wire connection. This is especially so in commercial buildings or those that use reinforced concrete.

If you have to use wifi, you can try the 802.11 N (note the "N") devices. These give much better range and cope with reflections better than the earlier "B" or "G" devices.

These also have various channels so you could try switching channels.

These work at microwave frequencies, though, (2.4 GHz in my country) so getting a good signal at very low power with primative antennas is a real problem.
    I saw a demonstration of using wifi at a distance of 5 km using parabolic dishes at each end of the transmission, though, so if you can find equipment that allows the use of better antennas, you may be able to try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook