How can I calculate the flow rate created by a fan connected to an engine?

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a vacuum using venturi and the difficulty in creating air flow through the rotation of the fan connected to the engine. The person is looking for an equation to accurately calculate the flow rate based on the fan speed and power. The response suggests that there is no simple equation and the details of the system and the fan's performance curve are needed. It is recommended to look at actual vacuum cleaner fans for typical performance information. The thread is then moved to the mechanical engineering section.
pigwiddeon
Hello

I am trying to design a vacuum using venturi. I cannot quite get the air flow created by the rotation of the fan, which is connected to the engine.

How is the relation between the fan speed and the flow rate created by it?

I know the proportionalities between the speed, power and the flow rate etc. But I need a solid equation which I can use to calculate exact number of the flow rate.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Ironically, last night we got exactly the same question about a different fan/flow situation. The answer is that there is no simple equation. You need to know the details of the system and you need the fan performance curve. I'd look at actual vacuum cleaner fans for typical performance information.

Thread moved to mechanical engineering section.

Last edited:

1. How does a fan create air flow?

A fan creates air flow by rotating its blades, which creates areas of low pressure behind the blades and forces the air in front of the fan to move towards the areas of lower pressure. This movement of air creates the sensation of a breeze or wind.

2. What factors affect the amount of air flow created by a fan?

The size and shape of the fan blades, the speed of rotation, and the power of the fan motor all play a role in determining the amount of air flow created by a fan. The environment in which the fan is operating, such as the temperature and humidity, can also affect the air flow.

3. What are some common types of fans used to create air flow?

The most common types of fans used to create air flow include ceiling fans, desk fans, tower fans, and box fans. Each type has its own unique design and features, but they all work on the same principle of rotating blades to move air.

4. How does air flow created by a fan affect the temperature in a room?

Air flow created by a fan does not change the actual temperature in a room, but it can create a perceived change in temperature. The movement of air makes us feel cooler by evaporating moisture from our skin, which can make a room feel more comfortable even without changing the actual temperature.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a fan for air flow?

When using a fan to create air flow, it is important to keep long hair, loose clothing, and other objects away from the fan to avoid injury. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the fan to prevent dust and debris from accumulating and potentially causing a fire hazard.