Creating an electric field with a battery

In summary: The wording of the OP was that he placed the negative charge in the field and that he moved it. Therefore it is him that is doing work on the negative charge and not the field.
bhope691
If I attach a battery to two parallel plates to create an electric field between the plates, will the electric field last for the lifetime of the battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
bhope691 said:
If I attach a battery to two parallel plates to create an electric field between the plates, will the electric field last for the lifetime of the battery?
Yes. As long as the battery can maintain a potential difference between its terminals and as long as the terminals are attached to plates, there will be a potential difference between the plates, which is to say that there will be an electric field between the plates.

bhope691 said:

You've been given the answer, but I'm just curious - were you thinking it might last less than the lifetime of the battery, or longer? A more complete understanding might be achieved if you want to share your doubt about the situation.

The plates come attached standard, the battery terminals.

Thanks.

If I was then to put a negative charge inside the electric field and move it towards the positive plate I assume the electric field is doing work on the negative charge. If it doesn't reach the plate and is only moved some distance toward the plate will the battery be slightly depleted, due to the work being carried out by the electric field?

Correct. Some energy is extracted from the battery when negative charge moves from negative terminal to the positive terminal, even if the negative charge doesn't reach the positive plate. For example, when you attach a capacitor to the battery. Conversely, when you move negative charge from the positive terminal to the negative terminal (electrolysis) some of the work is converted to chemical energy stored in the battery.

bhope691 said:
If I was then to put a negative charge inside the electric field and move it towards the positive plate I assume the electric field is doing work on the negative charge. If it doesn't reach the plate and is only moved some distance toward the plate will the battery be slightly depleted, due to the work being carried out by the electric field?

David Lewis said:
Correct. Some energy is extracted from the battery when negative charge moves from negative terminal to the positive terminal, even if the negative charge doesn't reach the positive plate.

hang on a minute , David

The wording of the OP was that he placed the negative charge in the field and that he moved it
Therefore it is him that is doing work on the negative charge and not the field

it didn't say anything about the field moving the chargeDave

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by a source charge and can either attract or repel other charges within its vicinity.

How can a battery create an electric field?

A battery contains two terminals - a positive and a negative. These terminals have different levels of charge, creating a potential difference between them. When connected to a circuit, this potential difference creates an electric field along the wire.

Can any battery create an electric field?

Yes, any battery with a voltage difference between its terminals can create an electric field. However, the strength of the electric field will depend on the battery's voltage and the distance between the terminals.

Is the electric field created by a battery constant?

No, the strength of the electric field can change depending on the resistance of the circuit and the amount of charge passing through it. The electric field is strongest near the battery's terminals and decreases as you move further away.

Can a battery's electric field be manipulated?

Yes, the strength and direction of an electric field created by a battery can be manipulated by changing the battery's voltage or by adding resistors or other components to the circuit. This allows for control over the movement and behavior of electric charges within the field.