1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating lung compliance curves but I'm terrible at the math/graphing

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to replicate the curves in the attachment, but since I am a physiologist it has been quite a while since I've done graphing. I am simply looking for an easy way to replicate these three curves. This is for a practice exam I am creating for first year medical students. The graphing program I got from sourceforge allows you to create these curves by inserting a function in the form of f(x) = or creating a point series.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the normal curve is roughly f(x) = √x but, I wish I knew what function to insert to make the line cross the X axis at +2.5 instead of 0. I am clueless how to create the shapes of the other two.

3. The attempt at a solution

Above

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't see an attachment -- try again?

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If your curve has the same shape as f(x) =√x, it can be translated to the right by 2.5 units to have an x-intercept at (2.5, 0). That would be y = f(x - 2.5) = √(x - 2.5)

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4
    I'm sorry, I think it should be attached now. Thanks for that first answer Mark. Now the other 2 curves should be in the attachment and I need a way to recreate them.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted