GEBRA: How to Create Quadratic Equations for a Given Area of a Rectangle

In summary: It's possible to approximate the dimensions if you don't have the dimensions. If you know the length of one side of the inner rectangle and the width of the strip, you can use that information to approximate the other dimensions.
trulyfalse
Hello PF! I'm having trouble approaching this problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

A rectangle with area of 35 cm2 is formed by cutting off strips of equal width from a rectangular piece of paper. The rectangular piece of paper is of 7cm width and 9cm length.

Homework Equations

ax2+bx+c

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to create two separate equations and substitute to solve, however I'm really not certain how to create those equations (more-so what to base them on) . Perhaps a push in the right direction is all I require...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to clarify what you mean by "cutting off strips of equal width." It sounds ambiguous to me.

Sorry, I didn't include the actual question. It asks:
a) what is the width of each strip?
b) what are the dimensions of the new rectangle?

In my textbook, the diagram shows a rectangle with sides labeled 9cm and 7cm, and an inner rectangle of area 35 cm squared with unknown dimensions. The strips equal width are labeled as x and are shown to be the distance from one side of the inner rectangle to the closest side of the outer rectangle. I hope that clarifies my question; unfortunately I cannot upload the diagram right now.

Is this what the diagram looks like

Attachments

• rect.png
    rect.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 709
Yes, that's correct.

Ok think what the lengths of inner rectangle can be expressed as.

Hint you need to use the length of the corresponding outer side and x.

Thank you! I think I figured it out:
A=lw
35=lw
35=(7-2x)(9-2x)
35=63-18x-14x+4x2
0=4x2-32x+28

I then factored out the polynomial:
4x2-4x-28x+28
4x(x-1)28(x-1)
(4x-28)(x-1)
x=1,7

And since a negative dimension is illogical, 7cm is extraneous and 1 cm is the width of the strip. After that I substituted the value back into the equation, and that yielded 7cm and 5cm as answers.

Thanks man! You've been a huge help!

trulyfalse said:
Thank you! I think I figured it out:
A=lw
35=lw
35=(7-2x)(9-2x)
35=63-18x-14x+4x2
0=4x2-32x+28

I then factored out the polynomial:
4x2-4x-28x+28
4x(x-1)28(x-1)
(4x-28)(x-1)
x=1,7

And since a negative dimension is illogical, 7cm is extraneous and 1 cm is the width of the strip. After that I substituted the value back into the equation, and that yielded 7cm and 5cm as answers.

Thanks man! You've been a huge help!

No problem. We did these in school last year and seeing the initial formula to get started is the hardest part. If you keep on trying questions you will eventually get a feel for what types of problem come up regularly and how to deal with them.

AL

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it has an unknown variable raised to the second power. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you create a quadratic equation?

To create a quadratic equation, you must follow the standard form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The values of a, b, and c can be chosen based on the desired shape and characteristics of the parabola. The equation can also be created by factoring or using the quadratic formula.

3. What are the key components of a quadratic equation?

The key components of a quadratic equation are the coefficients a, b, and c, as well as the variable x. The coefficient a determines the direction and width of the parabola, while b affects the position of the parabola on the x-axis. The constant c determines the y-intercept of the parabola.

4. How is a quadratic equation used in the real world?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-world situations. For example, the path of a projectile can be represented by a quadratic equation, or the profit of a company can be modeled using a quadratic function.

5. What are some common mistakes made when creating quadratic equations?

Some common mistakes when creating quadratic equations include forgetting to include the squared term, incorrect placement of signs, and using the wrong values for the coefficients. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions and to ensure that the equation accurately represents the given situation.