Solve Quadratic Equations: Math Grade 11 Help

• Thread starter punk_rawk_jazz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grade 11
In summary, the conversation is about a math question regarding solving a problem with quadratic equations. The question asks for the dimensions of a rectangle given its area and length being 9cm longer than its width. The conversation discusses setting up the equation to solve for x and suggests distributing x and setting the quadratic to zero. The main focus then shifts to a different topic, asking for help with practice questions on Pascal's triangle. The person asking for help is reminded to show their attempts and start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
punk_rawk_jazz
This question comes from a section on "Solving Problems With Quadratic Equations." I'm having problems with this, and I can't figure out why I can't get the right answer.
The length of a rectangle is 9cm longer than it's width. The area of the rectangle is 90 cm^2. Find the dimensions of the rectangle.
I drew a digram with the information. I used the formula to find area which is a=lw. The width of this is 'X'. The length is 'X+9'. The area is 90cm^2. I could not get the right answer for this. I set it up as 90=(x)(x+9) Then solved for x. The answer that I got was 81. The answer that I was supposed to get was 6. Anyone have any ideas of what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
your setup is good...how did you solve for x?

I might suggest distributing the x, setting the quadratic to zero, and factoring.

the quadratic eqn is
[tex]x^2+9x-90=0[/tex]
[tex]x^2+15x-6x-90=0[/tex]
[tex](x+15)(x-6)=0[/tex]
so x=6
hope it satisfies u

I distributed x. but forgot to set the quadratic to zero. But after I did that. I got that x=-10 and x=9... That's still wrong... Any ideas?

Thanx. Got it now.

Wow.. this is grade 11 math?? i did this in grade 9...

guys, i have a unit test tomorrow, and i really need some help with these practice questions! can you please help ?!

1)which row in pascals triangle has the sum of 16384. show your work

2)How many times can you spell math rocks if it's written in pascals triangle form? explain.

3)Jamal works at a toy factory, on his 20th day working he made 137 toys, he noticed that each day, he makes 3 more toys than the day before. what is the sum of the amount of toys jamal has made?

4) a. if t=10, find the first 4 terms

b. ^ find the explicit formula for the terms.

5) what's the sum if, 3,+ 7, + 11, ... + 71.

jayess said:
guys, i have a unit test tomorrow, and i really need some help with these practice questions! can you please help ?!

1)which row in pascals triangle has the sum of 16384. show your work

2)How many times can you spell math rocks if it's written in pascals triangle form? explain.

3)Jamal works at a toy factory, on his 20th day working he made 137 toys, he noticed that each day, he makes 3 more toys than the day before. what is the sum of the amount of toys jamal has made?

4) a. if t=10, find the first 4 terms

b. ^ find the explicit formula for the terms.

5) what's the sum if, 3,+ 7, + 11, ... + 71.

We're not going to help unless you show your best attempt at all of the questions. Also, please start a new thread, preferably in Precalculus and not in Introductory Physics, instead of hijacking someone else's.

Related to Solve Quadratic Equations: Math Grade 11 Help

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a type of algebraic equation that contains a variable raised to the second power (x2). It can be written in the form ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also factor the equation or use the completing the square method.

What are the solutions to a quadratic equation?

The solutions to a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation true. There can be two solutions, one solution, or no solutions depending on the discriminant (b2 - 4ac) of the equation.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the value inside the square root in the quadratic formula. It can be used to determine the number of solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two solutions. If it is zero, there is one solution. If it is negative, there are no real solutions.

Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important in mathematics because they are used to solve real-world problems and model many natural phenomena. They are also a fundamental concept in algebra and are used in higher level math courses and fields such as physics and engineering.