Creating Two Coils with Different Axes on Comsol 3.5

In summary, the conversation discusses using Comsol Multiphysics 3.5 to create two coils with different axes, but the 2D axisymmetric mode only allows for coils with the same axis. The solution suggested is to use a full 3D simulation. The second part of the conversation involves modeling low Re flow of liquid past a sphere close to a sliding wall and trying to extract drag dependence on distance from the wall. The problem is that the other walls of the cube are causing noticeable effects on drag, and the question is how to trick Comsol into believing there is an infinite domain. Suggestions include using a "no viscous forces" boundary on the other walls.
FunWarrior
Hi,

I am trying to create two coils with different axes on Comsol Multiphysics 3.5. I use the 2D axisymetric mode but it allows to create only coils with the same axe.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you need the two coils to be on separate central axes, then you'll have to use a full 3D simulation.

I'm modelling low Re flow of liquid past a sphere close to a sliding wall with COMSOL. I'm trying to extract the drag dependence on distance from the wall.

Problem: The other walls of cube are causing noticeable effects on drag (even though Cube length = O(10*r)) as I get closer to the centre of the cube. I have an inlet on the top of the cube, an outlet on the bottom and the other four walls are sliding with unit velocity -- there is no slip on the surface of the sphere.

Question: Does anyone have any ideas how to trick COMSOL into believing there's an infinite domain? I was thinking about maybe some sort of "no viscous forces" boundary on the three other walls or something; any thoughts?

Cheers,

Related to Creating Two Coils with Different Axes on Comsol 3.5

1. How do I create two coils with different axes on Comsol 3.5?

To create two coils with different axes on Comsol 3.5, follow these steps:

• 1. Click on the “Add Coil” button in the “Geometry” tab.
  • 2. Select “Coil” from the “Shape” drop-down menu.
  • 3. In the “Parameters” section, select the desired axis for the first coil.
  • 4. Click on the “Add Coil” button again.
  • 5. Select “Coil” from the “Shape” drop-down menu.
  • 6. In the “Parameters” section, select the desired axis for the second coil.
  • 7. Click on the “Build Selected” button to generate the two coils with different axes.

2. Can I change the axes of an existing coil on Comsol 3.5?

Yes, you can change the axes of an existing coil on Comsol 3.5 by following these steps:

• 1. Select the coil you want to modify in the “Geometry” tab.
  • 2. In the “Parameters” section, change the axis values to the desired ones.
  • 3. Click on the “Build Selected” button to update the coil with the new axes.

3. How can I rotate a coil on Comsol 3.5?

To rotate a coil on Comsol 3.5, follow these steps:

• 1. Select the coil you want to rotate in the “Geometry” tab.
  • 2. In the “Parameters” section, adjust the rotation angles for each axis.
  • 3. Click on the “Build Selected” button to apply the rotation to the coil.

4. Can I combine two coils with different axes on Comsol 3.5?

Yes, you can combine two coils with different axes on Comsol 3.5 by following these steps:

• 1. Create the first coil using the steps mentioned in the first question.
  • 2. Click on the “Add Coil” button again.
  • 3. Select “Coil” from the “Shape” drop-down menu.
  • 4. In the “Parameters” section, select the desired axis for the second coil.
  • 5. Click on the “Build Selected” button to generate the second coil.
  • 6. Use the “Combine” feature in the “Operations” tab to combine the two coils into one object.

5. How can I control the orientation of a coil on Comsol 3.5?

You can control the orientation of a coil on Comsol 3.5 by adjusting the rotation angles for each axis in the “Parameters” section. You can also use the “Axes Orientation” feature in the “Operations” tab to specify the orientation of the coil with respect to the global coordinate system.