Critique my proof that f '(0) = 3.

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of f'(0) for a continuous real function on R1, where it is known that f'(x) exists for all x ≠ 0 and that f'(x) → 3 as x → 0. The conversation delves into the use of the Mean Value Theorem and the definition of f'(x) to prove that f'(0) does indeed exist. However, the summary points out some minor errors in the attempt at a solution, such as the order of continuity and differentiability, and suggests adding more detail about the mean-value theorem. Overall, the proof is deemed satisfactory.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Let f be a continuos real function on R1, of which is its known that f '(x) exists for all x ≠ 0 and that f '(x) → 3 as x → 0. Does it follow that f '(0) exist?

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem
definition of f '(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fix ε > 0. Since limx → 0 f '(x) = 3, there exists a ∂ > 0 such that |f '(t) - 3| < ε whenever 0 < |t - 0| = |t| < ∂. So choose t with 0 < |t| < ∂. Suppose without loss of generality that t > 0. Then f is continuous on [0, t] and differentiable on (0, t); hence by the Mean Value Theorem there exists an x in (0, t) for which f '(x) = [f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0]. Since 0 < |x| < ∂, we have

|f '(x) - 3| = |[f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0] - 3| < ε.​

Thus 0 < |t| = |t - 0| < ∂ implies |[f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0] - 3| < ε, which means f '(0) = 3.

Now rip that apart. Pretend that you're my nitpicky TA grading my paper and in the process trying to degrade me (pun intended).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

Let f be a continuos real function on R1, of which is its known that f '(x) exists for all x ≠ 0 and that f '(x) → 3 as x → 0. Does it follow that f '(0) exist?

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem
definition of f '(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fix ε > 0. Since limx → 0 f '(x) = 3, there exists a ∂ > 0 such that |f '(t) - 3| < ε whenever |t| < ∂.

That should be "whenever 0<|t|< ∂

So choose t, 0 < |t| < ∂. Suppose without loss of generality that t > 0. Then f is continuous on (0, t) and differentiable on [0, t];

It's the other way around, it has to be continuous on [0,t] and differentiable on (0,t)

hence there exists an x in (0, t) for which f '(x) = [f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0].

You should mention the mean-value theorem here.

Since |x| < ∂, we have

|f '(x) - 3| = |[f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0] - 3| < ε.​

Thus 0 < |t| = |t - 0| < ∂ implies |[f(t) - f(0)] / [t -0] - 3| < ε, which means f '(0) = 3.

Before "which mean..." I'dd add that it actually means that

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(t)-f(0)}{t-0}}=3[/tex]

Overall, the proof seems to be nice.

micromass said:
That should be "whenever 0<|t|< ∂

It's the other way around, it has to be continuous on [0,t] and differentiable on (0,t)

You should mention the mean-value theorem here.

Before "which mean..." I'dd add that it actually means that

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(t)-f(0)}{t-0}}=3[/tex]

Overall, the proof seems to be nice.

Thanks, brah. When I write my final draft, I'll fancy it up by adding archaic words such as "whence" and "thereupon." This particular homework assignment will be golden.

What is the proof that f '(0) = 3?

The proof is as follows: Let f(x) = 3x^2. Then, f '(x) = 6x. Therefore, f '(0) = 6(0) = 0. However, we are given that f '(0) = 3. This leads to the conclusion that 0 = 3, which is a contradiction. Therefore, our assumption that f(x) = 3x^2 is incorrect. We need to find a new function that satisfies f '(0) = 3. Let's try f(x) = 3x^2 + 3. Then, f '(x) = 6x and f '(0) = 6(0) = 0 + 3 = 3. Therefore, f '(0) = 3 and our proof is complete.

Why is the proof using f(x) = 3x^2 incorrect?

The proof using f(x) = 3x^2 is incorrect because it leads to a contradiction. We are given that f '(0) = 3, but our assumption leads to f '(0) = 0. Since 0 does not equal 3, our assumption is incorrect and we need to find a new function that satisfies f '(0) = 3.

How did you come up with the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 3?

I came up with the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 3 by trial and error. Since our original assumption did not lead to the desired result, I tried adding a constant term to the function. By setting f(x) = 3x^2 + 3, we were able to satisfy both the given condition and the condition that f '(0) = 3.

Is there another way to prove that f '(0) = 3?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove that f '(0) = 3. For example, we could use the limit definition of the derivative or the power rule for derivatives. However, the key is to find a function that satisfies both the given condition and the desired condition, which in this case is f '(0) = 3.

Can the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 3 be used to prove that f '(0) = 3 for all values of x?

No, the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 3 can only be used to prove that f '(0) = 3. This is because the value of the derivative can change for different values of x. In this case, the function satisfies the given condition and the desired condition at x = 0, but it may not hold true for all values of x.