Exploring the Possibility of Multiple Universes in the CMB Map

• Thread starter bigmig
  • Start date
In summary, there are some indications in the CMB map that our universe was one of 'many' that could have formed and undergone subsequent inflation. This would seem probable from a non-uniqueness point of view. So I wondered if thinking had progressed on basic issues taking this into account. Such as; would such universes merge or remain separate, and what form would separation take. Would the laws be the same; it has been suggested that the masses and energies of our protons and electrons etc could be different, and still form a 'workable' quantum mechanical system. Would QM account for the probability of say an electron 'appearing' in one of theses other universes? This is something that is beyond the scope of this summary
bigmig
There are some indications in the CMB map that our universe was one of 'many' that could have formed and undergone subsequent inflation. This would seem probable from a non-uniqueness point of view. So I wondered if thinking had progressed on basic issues taking this into account.
Such as; would such universes merge or remain separate, and what form would separation take. Would the laws be the same; it has been suggested that the masses and energies of our protons and electrons etc could be different, and still form a 'workable' quantum mechanical system.
Would QM account for the probability of say an electron 'appearing' in one of theses other universes?

Not looking for answers to these issues, not enough evidence to get that far, but can the Maths cope with multiple universes, from the QM standpoint?

Space news on Phys.org
bigmig said:
There are some indications in the CMB map that our universe was one of 'many' that could have formed and undergone subsequent inflation. This would seem probable from a non-uniqueness point of view. So I wondered if thinking had progressed on basic issues taking this into account.
Such as; would such universes merge or remain separate, and what form would separation take. Would the laws be the same; it has been suggested that the masses and energies of our protons and electrons etc could be different, and still form a 'workable' quantum mechanical system.
Would QM account for the probability of say an electron 'appearing' in one of theses other universes?

Not looking for answers to these issues, not enough evidence to get that far, but can the Maths cope with multiple universes, from the QM standpoint?
what indications do you mean exactly

In the CMB WMap there are circular areas which according to one astrophysicists view accords with other 'bubbles' forming and splitting off. Sorry I cannot recall his name but could find it, he is at Berkley anyway.

Please forgive my spelling but the name given verbally on a CMB discussion was Anthony Bagheri. It discussed bubble universe formation and suggested there was CMB imprints.of early collisions with other bubble universes shortly after the inflation phase. These appeared a circular areas on the map.

Do you mean Anthony Aguirre, from UC Santa Cruz?

It may well be he was introduced with Saul Perlmuter and I assumed he was also at Berkley

Aguirre is a professor of mine, he actually is my thesis adviser, currently. He does this exact research you're referring to, so I'm assuming it's the same guy. Same University system, anyway.

This stuff is way beyond my pay grade, but there are a couple video of Aguirre giving some talks about multiverse theory on youtube if you search his name. You might look into String Theory as a way of mathematically handling multiple universes. I don't think you can readily incorporate them into our current understanding of quantum mechanics, though.

Thanks for that. Well, we've got the name sorted at least, other stuff may take a bit longer I suspect!

1. What is crossing between universes?

Crossing between universes, also known as interdimensional travel, is the theoretical concept of moving from one universe to another. It suggests the existence of alternate realities or parallel universes.

2. Is crossing between universes possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of alternate universes or the possibility of traveling between them. However, some theories in quantum physics and string theory suggest that it may be possible.

3. How would one cross between universes?

The exact method for crossing between universes is unknown and purely theoretical. Some theories suggest using advanced technology or harnessing the power of black holes, while others propose the existence of natural portals or wormholes.

4. What are the potential consequences of crossing between universes?

The consequences of crossing between universes are purely speculative as it is not currently possible. Some theories suggest that it could lead to a disruption of space and time or potentially create a paradox. Others propose that it could have no effect at all.

5. Can we observe or measure the existence of other universes?

Currently, there is no way to observe or measure the existence of other universes. However, some scientists are conducting experiments and research to try and detect evidence of alternate realities through phenomena such as dark matter and gravitational waves.