Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crossing between universes?

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    There are some indications in the CMB map that our universe was one of 'many' that could have formed and undergone subsequent inflation. This would seem probable from a non-uniqueness point of view. So I wondered if thinking had progressed on basic issues taking this into account.
    Such as; would such universes merge or remain separate, and what form would separation take. Would the laws be the same; it has been suggested that the masses and energies of our protons and electrons etc could be different, and still form a 'workable' quantum mechanical system.
    Would QM account for the probability of say an electron 'appearing' in one of theses other universes?

Not looking for answers to these issues, not enough evidence to get that far, but can the Maths cope with multiple universes, from the QM standpoint?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    what indications do you mean exactly

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    In the CMB WMap there are circular areas which according to one astrophysicists view accords with other 'bubbles' forming and splitting off. Sorry I cannot recall his name but could find it, he is at Berkley anyway.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    Please forgive my spelling but the name given verbally on a CMB discussion was Anthony Bagheri. It discussed bubble universe formation and suggested there was CMB imprints.of early collisions with other bubble universes shortly after the inflation phase. These appeared a circular areas on the map.

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5
    Do you mean Anthony Aguirre, from UC Santa Cruz?

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6
    It may well be he was introduced with Saul Perlmuter and I assumed he was also at Berkley

8. Aug 28, 2012 #7
    Aguirre is a professor of mine, he actually is my thesis adviser, currently. He does this exact research you're referring to, so I'm assuming it's the same guy. Same University system, anyway.

This stuff is way beyond my pay grade, but there are a couple video of Aguirre giving some talks about multiverse theory on youtube if you search his name. You might look into String Theory as a way of mathematically handling multiple universes. I don't think you can readily incorporate them into our current understanding of quantum mechanics, though.

9. Aug 28, 2012 #8
    Thanks for that. Well, we've got the name sorted at least, other stuff may take a bit longer I suspect!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook