Cryptography - transposition cipher

In summary, to decrypt the message EESLSHSALSESLSHBLEHSYEETHRAEOS using the permutation \pi = (13)(2546), we need to apply the inverse permutation (31)(6452) to get the plaintext "she sells seashells." The inverse permutation will swap the positions of certain letters according to the original permutation, resulting in the correct decryption of the message.
Rubik
Suppose m = 6 was encoded with ther permutation [tex]\pi[/tex] = (13)(2546)

Decrypt:- EESLSHSALSESLSHBLEHSYEETHRAEOS

It turns out that the inverse of [tex]\pi[/tex] is how you decrypt the message and apply the inverse permutaion which is (31)(6452)

And the plaintext is she sells seashells...

However I am not sure how to work out the inverse function and then how to apply the inverse permutation to get that particular plain text any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rubik said:
However I am not sure how to work out the inverse function

You mean how to work out the inverse permutation?
(6,4,5,2) sends 6 to 4, 4 to 5, etc. The inverse would undo that. It would send 4 to 6, 5 to 4 etc.

and then how to apply the inverse permutation to get that particular plain text any ideas?

(3,1) interchanges the first and 3rd letters, which changes EES to SES.

Stephen Tashi said:
You mean how to work out the inverse permutation?
(6,4,5,2) sends 6 to 4, 4 to 5, etc. The inverse would undo that. It would send 4 to 6, 5 to 4 etc.

(3,1) interchanges the first and 3rd letters, which changes EES to SES.
I am afraid I still do not understand? Why does EES become SES? And not SEE.

And sorry what I meant before was how do you get the inverse permutation, so how does (13)(2546) become (31)(6452)?

So basically I do not see how the inverse permutation makes the letters EESLSH goe to SHESEL?

You are right (1,3) makes EES go to SEE, my mistake.

Let's do a simple example. Let the permutation be (1,3)(4,5,6)
This implies the mapping:
1->3
3->1
4->5
5->6
6->4

The inverse mapping reverses the process. It is:
3->1
1->3
5->4
6->5
4->6

You have to figure out how to write that mapping in the notation for permutations.
It would be (3,1) (5 4 6)

To get that you start with 3->1, then what does 1 go to? It goes back to 3, so you have finished one cyclic permutation. Then do 5->4. What does 4 go to? It goes to 6. What does 6 go to. It goes to 5, so you completed another cyclic permutation.

Okay so if I have pi = (124)(36)(587) then

pi inverse = (214)(63)(587)?

Okay so if I have pi = (124)(36)(587) then

pi inverse = (214)(63)(587)?

The (587) in your inverse isn't right. You need to send 8 to 5 and send 7 to 8 and so forth.

Also going back to the previous example with the pi inverse = (31)(6452)

I do not understand how EESLSH goes to SHESEL

See using that invers key means 3 goes to 1 so EES become SEE, 6 goes to 4 means SEELSH goes to SEEHSL and 5 goes to 2 means SEEHSL goes to SSEHEL.. I have no idea what I am doing wrong?

Sorry of course so (587) becomes (857)?

Oh wait I get it now so goes to 1 means SEELSH and 6 goes to 4 means SEEHSL 4 goes to 5 means SEESHL and 5 goes to 2 means SHESEL.

Thank you so much for all your help! :D

1. What is a transposition cipher?

A transposition cipher is a method of encryption that involves rearranging the order of letters or symbols in a message without changing the actual letters themselves. This is different from a substitution cipher, which replaces letters with different symbols.

2. How does a transposition cipher work?

A transposition cipher typically involves writing the message in a grid or table, with a specific number of rows and columns. The message is then read out in a specific pattern, such as left to right, top to bottom, or in a diagonal direction. This creates a new, encrypted message.

3. Is a transposition cipher difficult to break?

Compared to other types of ciphers, a transposition cipher can be relatively easy to break with the right tools and techniques. However, the security of the cipher depends on the complexity of the encryption method and the length of the message.

4. What are some examples of transposition ciphers?

One example of a transposition cipher is the rail fence cipher, which involves writing the message in a zigzag pattern across multiple lines. Another example is the columnar transposition cipher, where the message is written in a grid and read out in a specific order based on a keyword or key phrase.

5. Can a transposition cipher be used for modern-day encryption?

While transposition ciphers were commonly used in ancient times, they are not considered secure enough for modern-day encryption. They can be easily broken by modern computers and algorithms. Instead, more complex and secure methods such as symmetric or asymmetric key encryption are used today.