1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CsCl primitive cell and basis

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

CsCl has a BCC unit cell containing 2 atoms, Cs in the origin of the cell and Cl at the centre of the cell. Describe the CsCl unit cell in terms of its primitive cell+basis.

2. Relevant equations

R = n1a1 + n2a2 + n3a3 ~ R is the vector which relates one point of the lattice to any other.

3. The attempt at a solution

R = n1a1 + n2a2 + n3a3,
    Where Cs is at the point (0,0,0) and Cl is at the point (1/2,1/2,1/2)

My issue is mostly with the terminology - I am not really sure what the question is asking. I know that either ion can be described with a SC lattice and together they make a BCC lattice. I don't really know how to answer this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It the Cs and Cl ions were identical spheres, the unit cell would look like as BCC . But they are different, so it is not BCC but a primitive cell with a basis. What kind of cell and what is the basis?

ehild

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    Emm, I think its a SC primitive cell with a two point basis, where Cs is at the point (0,0,0) and Cl is at the point (1/2,1/2,1/2).

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted